• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats just the national average. Certainly not on the coasts. However, I'm certain you aren't spending 70k. (I mean, maybe you are and you're employee a live in or something. In which case, you're awesome.)

Why are we comparing the national average of childcare costs to the 25 most expensive Universities? What’s the national average for ALL universities? That would be a much fairer comparison.

I’m a stay-at-home dad, but last time we priced mid-range childcare, it would've been closer to $20k/year.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, well, the national childcare average cost is 9.5k. The national state school cost is 9.3k. The national 4 year university all in cost is $25K. (And the state school cost is $26k for out of state.

I'm not even sure where they get the average cost of 4 years at 25k (I think its from assuming in-state prices on schools, but not sure).

You could expand well outside the Top 25. Clark University (picked at random as tied for around spot #100 on US News and World Report) has a full year cost of $58.5k.

I guess my overall point is that college right now is the biggest price gouge going. Its the only thing inflating faster than healthcare.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1611544152250.png

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I question the television and wireless are cheaper. I think I pay, not ****, around $650 a month for both.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sitting in my oldest son’s room while he drifts off to sleep. It’s going to be 15 years or so before this becomes an immediate issue for us. Maybe he’ll follow in his mom’s footsteps and go to the University of Toronto. My alma mater is defunct...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I question the television and wireless are cheaper. I think I pay, not ****, around $650 a month for both.

I think that’s just for the set. We paid $900+ for a 42” 720p plasma in 2009 and $480 for a 65” LCD a few months ago (RIP). Things are definitely cheaper.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. In costco last week they had 80 inches for under 2k, 70 inches for under 1k, which is insane.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think for televisions it means the actual cost of the television, not the service.

As for Wireless, I pay $80 a month with T-mobile for two lines unlimited which is roughly 50% less than what we paid 20 years ago when I was in high school.

THis also begs the questions, what the **** are you watching/using that costs 650 a month?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think for televisions it means the actual cost of the television, not the service.

As for Wireless, I pay $80 a month with T-mobile for two lines unlimited which is roughly 50% less than what we paid 20 years ago when I was in high school.

THis also begs the questions, what the **** are you watching/using that costs 650 a month?

Pr0n is pricey these days.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Onlyfans. Bear tips big for mentions.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats just the national average. Certainly not on the coasts. However, I'm certain you aren't spending 70k. (I mean, maybe you are and you're employee a live in or something. In which case, you're awesome.)

Some friends of ours, who I am certain make at best what my wife and I make but probably, less have hired a live in au pair. She is 22, from Mexico, and while not Salma Hayek, she is prettier than she should be for a marriage to be healthy. The husband is hispanic and speaks fluent spanish, the wife is a blonde white girl who doesnt. I love her to death, but this was her idea and that makes her an idiot.

Also, I cant understand the logic. They have one child who is less than a year and are both working from home. In order to make the au pair thing work, they have to pay her (obviously), have a young, relatively attractive, bilingual woman live in their house to take care of their one child, and oh by the way, had ot buy a new house in a red hot housing market to have enough space for her...

My wife and I could afford to do this, I guess, but we have almost no debt. I just cant imagine anyone thinking this would be a good idea.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Omega Male I'm a little bit leary of said chart. For a couple reasons. 1) "Hospital Services" is not the same as overall health care cost. I think its is probably disingenuous to take the overall most expensive part of a segment and use it as representative.
(EDIT: Ah, I see they broke out "Medical Care Services," put it in a slighly different pink and then sandwiched it next to Child Care costs, making it somewhat hard to pick up on. - But far below college costs)

I think the number they are reporting for college inflation is low, probably because they have chosen to take out much of the 90's. Here is forbes, pegging college inflation in my lifetime to 497%. https://www.forbes.com/sites/zenger...while-students-learn-at-home/?sh=5c3f29992f98

Atlantic article (old as hell), but points out that indeed for the 30 years leading up to 2010, college was outstripping health care increases (both being horrible). Perhaps this accounts for the lower % on the chart you posted (somewhat). https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...n-costs-rising-faster-than-health-care/23705/

This possibility is reinforced by this: showing college costs going up 596% in the 30 years pre 2010. https://www.businessinsider.com/college-and-health-cost-versus-income-2011-3

Even anecdotally, since I graduated in 2008 my alma mater has nearly doubled its total cost of attendance (from 41k per year to 79k per year). I shop my company's health care plan every year. We pay 100% of our employees premium so this is a huge expense for us - it certainly hasn't doubled in 12 years.

I would never go so far as to say that healthcare inflation isn't a problem. Its clearly also a huge problem. But by everything I've seen college costs in my lifetime have far outstripped it.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some friends of ours, who I am certain make at best what my wife and I make but probably, less have hired a live in au pair. She is 22, from Mexico, and while not Salma Hayek, she is prettier than she should be for a marriage to be healthy. The husband is hispanic and speaks fluent spanish, the wife is a blonde white girl who doesnt. I love her to death, but this was her idea and that makes her an idiot.

Also, I cant understand the logic. They have one child who is less than a year and are both working from home. In order to make the au pair thing work, they have to pay her (obviously), have a young, relatively attractive, bilingual woman live in their house to take care of their one child, and oh by the way, had ot buy a new house in a red hot housing market to have enough space for her...

My wife and I could afford to do this, I guess, but we have almost no debt. I just cant imagine anyone thinking this would be a good idea.

This does indeed seem like a slew of incredibly unwise choices.

Having a live in while you both work from home seems indulgent at what you seem to believe they are making.

We could afford one and my wife and I currently both have offices at home that could be given up for one, but she is working from home and I am only going to the office in afternoons, and not even every day. Would be massively indulgent to hire help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads