• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camellia? What variety is that?

Indeed a camellia. This is a locally developed varietal called Variegated Bella Rosa, which is a cross between Nuccios Gem and Nuccios Bella Rosa.

Its a picky variety. Bought it at Nuccios in Altadena CA. They ship. This guy does not like very much sunlight at all.

This is the Bella Rosa which it was developed off. Also blooming atm.
20210113_151637.jpg

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed a camellia. This is a locally developed varietal called Variegated Bella Rosa, which is a cross between Nuccios Gem and Nuccios Bella Rosa.

Its a picky variety. Bought it at Nuccios in Altadena CA. They ship. This guy does not like very much sunlight at all.

Neat.

I planted "Morning Glow," one of the cold hardy varieties, last year. It's in almost full shade and has some nice buds on it. Hoping it'll flower soon. Supposed to be formal double white flowers, should brighten up a dark corner of the yard.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morning Glow is nice, big white blooms. Very similar to Nuccios Gem, possible they share a background.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obvious question, but is there any chance to buy a house that you can do work on before moving in?

There is certainly a chance. There are some challenges around timing - I’ve been told that the permitting process is extremely backed up due to COVID, for a variety of reasons. Any meaningful remodel is going to be a longish haul. We looked briefly at a tear down but fortunately it sold before we could get our act together. A new build is a multi year process - if everything goes well - which makes it pretty much untenable for us.

Redoing a bathroom wouldn’t be a problem from a timing standpoint because we could wait until it’s safe and be just fine operating down a bathroom during construction but a significant kitchen remodel could easily take 6+ months right now start to finish. We are looking at a few different cities so some may depend on the specific city.

I should also point out, in case it’s not obvious, that we are not experienced in home building or remodeling. I can do relatively simple tasks but I’m not like knowledgeable or skilled in any trades so we don’t exactly have a competitive advantage in any home renovation scenario.

Basically we would have to build a strong business case to remodel in order to beat out a home we are relatively happy with as is.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we planted a 1 gal camellia japonica last spring (nuccios pearl) it is budding now

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is certainly a chance. There are some challenges around timing - I’ve been told that the permitting process is extremely backed up due to COVID, for a variety of reasons. Any meaningful remodel is going to be a longish haul. We looked briefly at a tear down but fortunately it sold before we could get our act together. A new build is a multi year process - if everything goes well - which makes it pretty much untenable for us.

Redoing a bathroom wouldn’t be a problem from a timing standpoint because we could wait until it’s safe and be just fine operating down a bathroom during construction but a significant kitchen remodel could easily take 6+ months right now start to finish. We are looking at a few different cities so some may depend on the specific city.

I should also point out, in case it’s not obvious, that we are not experienced in home building or remodeling. I can do relatively simple tasks but I’m not like knowledgeable or skilled in any trades so we don’t exactly have a competitive advantage in any home renovation scenario.

Basically we would have to build a strong business case to remodel in order to beat out a home we are relatively happy with as is.
My advice is don't even think about a remodel at your stage of life with young kids.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice is don't even think about a remodel at your stage of life with young kids.

**looks nervously between 4.5 month old daughter and estimates for redoing dining room and adding new closet once vaccines are widespread**

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember, child care (0-Kindergarten) is now more expensive then college.

Only state college. Annual child care average is like 9.5k. Total billed out the door cost of Top 25 universities now is 70k / year.

But the point is valid. Her PPO is freaking $3,300 per year. For an infant!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only state college. Annual child care average is like 9.5k. Total billed out the door cost of Top 25 universities now is 70k / year.

But the point is valid. Her PPO is freaking $3,300 per year. For an infant!

Where can I find childcare that cheap?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can I find childcare that cheap?

Thats just the national average. Certainly not on the coasts. However, I'm certain you aren't spending 70k. (I mean, maybe you are and you're employee a live in or something. In which case, you're awesome.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads