• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dryer fixed. 10 bucks and about 2 hours of my time. For 100-200 bucks id probably just pay someone... but i bet id be charged in the 500 range. Had to take the entire dryer apart to make a very simple repair on a part that will always eventually need to be replaced...

if one had the energy, you could cut an access panel into the back for these repairs. Would be done in 20 minutes.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dryer fixed. 10 bucks and about 2 hours of my time. For 100-200 bucks id probably just pay someone... but i bet id be charged in the 500 range. Had to take the entire dryer apart to make a very simple repair on a part that will always eventually need to be replaced...

if one had the energy, you could cut an access panel into the back for these repairs. Would be done in 20 minutes.

Good excuse to buy a plasma cutter.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good excuse to buy a plasma cutter.
Nah, bruh. This is a job for a nibbler.

1611525277259.png

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, bruh. This is a job for a nibbler.

View attachment 1542227
I had a nibbler once... Legs for days, brains for minutes, and an ankle monitor for 9 months. She was quite fun

So I painted a wall, repaired some trip, and replaces eyeball recessed light trim. Things are slowly improving. At this rate, 5 years from now, things might be done.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
We made the mistake of stacking our full size washer and dryer (and designing the cabinet accordingly). When we needed a repair we had to pay $200 just to unstack and restack them.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, I honestly don't know what a plasma cutter is, or what that thing is either.
Plasma cutter sounds like a weapon in Duke Nukem.

We made the mistake of stacking our full size washer and dryer (and designing the cabinet accordingly). When we needed a repair we had to pay $200 just to unstack and restack them.
Do you even lift, bro?

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are looking to move to a home in part to be closer to our kids‘ school and in part to have a yard for our growing kids to play in. I won’t go into the dramatics about how difficult it is to find a home in the bay area but wanted to note a few things.

First - like many, we are interested in a move in ready home. Given Bay Area housing stock, this frequently means moving into a home that has been renovated to sell. We have noticed a number of those homes seem designed to sell rather than live in. From what we have seen so far, they rarely have a pantry or linen closet which seems like the sort of thing all family homes should feature.

Second - and not unrelated, we looked at a fully rebuilt home this week that had so many good things, but lacked a pantry and linen closet. It also, unfortunately, completely wasted its outdoor space having a detached garage in the back corner. This necessitated a long driveway and enough space to maneuver two cars side by side into the garage. The “lawn” was maybe 4x12 which was ridiculous given the circumstances. It did have a nice deck but for ***** sake I need grass. And they did some thoughtful things like prewiring the main family room for home theater with banana plug terminals, but inexplicably ran phone wire throughout the home instead of CAT6. On the other hand, it had been designed with multiple large and accessible crawl spaces for each floor. It included almost 2,000 sf of enclosed crawl space under the structure for storage. It wasn’t tall enough to stand up in but it was many times more space than I need for all my occasional use storage. It also had a finished space above the garage with nice hardwood floors. Since I have accumulated more things than I should, the storage was quite attractive.

EDIT: oh forgot to mention that it also had a fancy refrigerator (Thermador) that managed to somehow be both massive and yet not larger than our current one. We have a 23 cf fridge and it’s jus not big enough for a family of four. We will get a chest freezer in the garage to help but egads I don’t know what I’m doing wrong that 16cf refrigerated section feels way too small. Maybe they don’t subtract out the ice maker space which is substantial in mine.

We found another place that would have been perfect but for the brand new and very closed kitchen, which is a deal breaker for Mrs. Unf. I think the cost and time to remedy would be prohibitive in addition to wasteful.

We have resigned ourselves to ending up in a home that will fit our needs better than the place we have now. It will be worse in many ways. Our current home was designed to be lived in and has worked out quite well except for the lack of yard space and long term storage. We had hoped to find a “forever” home but not sure that is really possible at this point.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn’t realize how many closets we used in our last house until we moved into the new one which doesnt have many closets. Good luck in your search but it seems like there are always trade offs. Also you are right a pantry is a must.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
As I’ve alluded to in terms of our door purchases we added a ton of storage to our place. It’s all full of my crap, of course.

brokencycle

Reaction score
We are looking to move to a home in part to be closer to our kids‘ school and in part to have a yard for our growing kids to play in. I won’t go into the dramatics about how difficult it is to find a home in the bay area but wanted to note a few things.

First - like many, we are interested in a move in ready home. Given Bay Area housing stock, this frequently means moving into a home that has been renovated to sell. We have noticed a number of those homes seem designed to sell rather than live in. From what we have seen so far, they rarely have a pantry or linen closet which seems like the sort of thing all family homes should feature.

Second - and not unrelated, we looked at a fully rebuilt home this week that had so many good things, but lacked a pantry and linen closet. It also, unfortunately, completely wasted its outdoor space having a detached garage in the back corner. This necessitated a long driveway and enough space to maneuver two cars side by side into the garage. The “lawn” was maybe 4x12 which was ridiculous given the circumstances. It did have a nice deck but for ***** sake I need grass. And they did some thoughtful things like prewiring the main family room for home theater with banana plug terminals, but inexplicably ran phone wire throughout the home instead of CAT6. On the other hand, it had been designed with multiple large and accessible crawl spaces for each floor. It included almost 2,000 sf of enclosed crawl space under the structure for storage. It wasn’t tall enough to stand up in but it was many times more space than I need for all my occasional use storage. It also had a finished space above the garage with nice hardwood floors. Since I have accumulated more things than I should, the storage was quite attractive.

EDIT: oh forgot to mention that it also had a fancy refrigerator (Thermador) that managed to somehow be both massive and yet not larger than our current one. We have a 23 cf fridge and it’s jus not big enough for a family of four. We will get a chest freezer in the garage to help but egads I don’t know what I’m doing wrong that 16cf refrigerated section feels way too small. Maybe they don’t subtract out the ice maker space which is substantial in mine.

We found another place that would have been perfect but for the brand new and very closed kitchen, which is a deal breaker for Mrs. Unf. I think the cost and time to remedy would be prohibitive in addition to wasteful.

We have resigned ourselves to ending up in a home that will fit our needs better than the place we have now. It will be worse in many ways. Our current home was designed to be lived in and has worked out quite well except for the lack of yard space and long term storage. We had hoped to find a “forever” home but not sure that is really possible at this point.

Obvious question, but is there any chance to buy a house that you can do work on before moving in?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with French Patio doors by Anderson? Are they fairly universal? I need to replace the handle and lock assembly on the right side and am hoping to also get one that has a key lock (so I can lock the door from the outside while in the yard with the kids.

E735141B-46A1-42DD-B685-B2D3EAFE32CC.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads