• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came home and was informed that the dryer “sounds funny”. It did indeed. Took the dryer apart and turns out the bearing on the idler puller had worn out and the pulley was out of line with the pulley on the motor.

Ordered a new part from amazon that should come by Saturday... then i just have to put the thing back together... its always something.

Worst case I call a repair man but given i needed to take the entire thing apart to get to the 10 dollar part, i imagine it would be in the $300-500 range.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get people who struggle with dishwashers.

I've had whatever random dishwasher my rental included forever and my results are always fine. Occasionally not perfect, but no pattern of issues.

Coincidentally, whenever I watch other people load dishwashers, they always seem to be doing it wrong...

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Came home and was informed that the dryer “sounds funny”. It did indeed. Took the dryer apart and turns out the bearing on the idler puller had worn out and the pulley was out of line with the pulley on the motor.

Ordered a new part from amazon that should come by Saturday... then i just have to put the thing back together... its always something.

Worst case I call a repair man but given i needed to take the entire thing apart to get to the 10 dollar part, i imagine it would be in the $300-500 range.

Our washer somehow sucked a sock into the impeller motor on the pump this week. That was fun to disassemble and fix.

At least I didn't need to order parts or buy a new one.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Our washer somehow sucked a sock into the impeller motor on the pump this week. That was fun to disassemble and fix.

At least I didn't need to order parts or buy a new one.
We had a similar issue last year. It's obviously an expected occurrence because it's quite easy to clear once you have access. If they had included an access panel, it could have been a five-minute job. Instead, I had pull the washer away from the wall and remove both the top and front panels of the machine, and it took an hour.

Ixelles

Reaction score
I don't get people who struggle with dishwashers.

I've had whatever random dishwasher my rental included forever and my results are always fine. Occasionally not perfect, but no pattern of issues.

Coincidentally, whenever I watch other people load dishwashers, they always seem to be doing it wrong...
We are friends with a couple who are both PhD's in chemical engineering and work high up in R&D for a big corporate. It took 10 years for her to realize that glasses and mugs go upside down in the dishwasher. Her husband just reloaded it every time to avoid having that discussion.

Years ago we were playing charades with them (it was big among corporate up 'n' comers in the 90's) and she was doing a movie title. She spent the allotted time flapping her arms like a demented bird. The answer? Casablanca, of course.

She was acting out a turkey because "Casablanca is in Turkey"

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We are friends with a couple who are both PhD's in chemical engineering and work high up in R&D for a big corporate. It took 10 years for her to realize that glasses and mugs go upside down in the dishwasher. Her husband just reloaded it every time to avoid having that discussion.

Years ago we were playing charades with them (it was big among corporate up 'n' comers in the 90's) and she was doing a movie title. She spent the allotted time flapping her arms like a demented bird. The answer? Casablanca, of course.

She was acting out a turkey because "Casablanca is in Turkey"
:confused2:

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had a similar issue last year. It's obviously an expected occurrence because it's quite easy to clear once you have access. If they had included an access panel, it could have been a five-minute job. Instead, I had pull the washer away from the wall and remove both the top and front panels of the machine, and it took an hour.

an access panel on the back of these appliances would make so much sense. If i had one on the dryer I could have accessed and diagnosed the problem in the time it took to pull the dryer away from the wall.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a code on my washer awhile, back looked it up and it said to check outlet filter. Two $5s and a $10. I never carry cash so I actually made money on that one

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today's fun discovery: When they remodeled one of the bathrooms, they never hooked the HVAC supply duct back up.

Maybe it was deliberate since it’s a tiny bath, but why leave the register in the wall? It's just leaking cold air into the house. It's relatively close to the furnace so it's not terrible, but just lazy work. This is why I don't trust GCs.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today's fun discovery: When they remodeled one of the bathrooms, they never hooked the HVAC supply duct back up.

Maybe it was deliberate since it’s a tiny bath, but why leave the register in the wall? It's just leaking cold air into the house. It's relatively close to the furnace so it's not terrible, but just lazy work. This is why I don't trust GCs.
I spent 35 years in that business and you've already mentioned a half dozen things I have never seen. Sounds like you just a lucky guy. People grouse about building departments, myself included, but these rat contractors need to be forced through the permit process to due the right thing.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spent 35 years in that business and you've already mentioned a half dozen things I have never seen. Sounds like you just a lucky guy. People grouse about building departments, myself included, but these rat contractors need to be forced through the permit process to due the right thing.
They pulled a permit to do this bathroom. That’s the sad part.

976CF0A5-FB6E-4EE3-8C2D-A14D5DD5CB30.jpeg

Looking down the boot. Beautiful view of my foundation.

I’m going to shove some rigid foam insulation in it and caulk around it until I get around to patching the drywall.

Those wall registers are awful. Can’t wait to get the rest moved. You can see how they have to notch the end joist to fit them in. Eventually the floors start sagging below the registers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads