• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least once a year my wife reminds me that the kitchen faucet is not staying with the house when we sell.
The old owners wrote in the contract the chandelier in our dining room. We always thought it would have been some fancy crystal laden fixture possibly finished in gold or other rare metals. I tracked down some of the old listing photos and it was nothing special at all. Makes one wonder who gets attached to such items.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The old owners wrote in the contract the chandelier in our dining room. We always thought it would have been some fancy crystal laden fixture possibly finished in gold or other rare metals. I tracked down some of the old listing photos and it was nothing special at all. Makes one wonder who gets attached to such items.
Same exact thing happened in our house. Dining room chandelier went with them. Was nothing special (and we ended up moving the dining room anyways)

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people sees the initial cost as not depreciated and keep it with them. My parents are like this and we get into arguments when I donated stuff as they see it as “money wasted”

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This story seems relevant:

My wife and I got into an argument about how to calculate how much money we invested in the house before we sold it. In my mind, doing things that I used, wanted, and fully depreciated shouldn't count. For example, I always replace toilets day one. ALWAYS. I like a particular style, height, and comfort level while the kids are at the pool and I always buy the exact same toilet (Kohler Cimaron. I have bought a grand total of 11 over 3 houses, and will be buying 3 more as soon as the new one closes)

She thinks that is a capital improvement, I think it is a cost of living. We got into an argument, I suggested we write into the contract that we get to take the toilets with us to which she replied with an eyeroll and a "God you irritate me somedays. You are such an ass" and the conversation ended

I feel like I won, but leave it to you, the Jury

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife and I got into an argument about how to calculate how much money we invested in the house before we sold it. In my mind, doing things that I used, wanted, and fully depreciated shouldn't count. For example, I always replace toilets day one. ALWAYS. I like a particular style, height, and comfort level while the kids are at the pool and I always buy the exact same toilet (Kohler Cimaron. I have bought a grand total of 11 over 3 houses, and will be buying 3 more as soon as the new one closes)

She thinks that is a capital improvement, I think it is a cost of living. We got into an argument, I suggested we write into the contract that we get to take the toilets with us to which she replied with an eyeroll and a "God you irritate me somedays. You are such an ass" and the conversation ended

Does Kohler have a customer loyalty program on their toilets? Maybe you can get the next set for 25% off or something.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Kohler have a customer loyalty program on their toilets? Maybe you can get the next set for 25% off or something.
God I wish. They are just really comfortable, powerful, and pretty (In a simple, poop gobbling kind of way)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened in our house. Dining room chandelier went with them. Was nothing special (and we ended up moving the dining room anyways)

My grandparents did the opposite. They insisted that the Danish lamps over the dining table and bar of their lake michigan cottage should remain when they sold it... Much to the chagrin of the children who wanted the lamps. Something along the lines of they were part of the charm and made the space and replacing them with some random pendants from home depot would ruin it.

Of course i wouldn't be surprised if those lamps are now in a landfill... They were lovely lamps, but they weren't brand new and they showed signs of hanging in a humid environment for decades. I'd say 80%+ chance whoever bought it did a kitchen reno so all of the "charm" is gone along with the lights.

I can't recall what they were off the top of my head, wasn't something iconic like a ph5. Was one large half sphere over a smaller inverted sphere, solid outside color, white inside.

Edit: they were Verner Panton flowerpot lamps: https://www.design-mkt.com/119837-n...-flowerpot-pendant-light-in-original-box.html
I think it was 2 orange and 2 navy. Maybe it was 3 over the bar counter.
vintage-louis-poulsen-vp1-flowerpot-lamp-lighting-mrchairph-771558_2048x2048.jpg

Lot of money in lamps to leave behind for an unappreciative buyer...

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

What do you do when the weather is bad? Just hold it?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's how i felt after my first house. Gutted one room and cursed myself for the next two weeks as I put it back. Never again.
That's probably where we'll end up, but there's a bonus room that's an obvious lab to see how well we can tolerate DIY remodeling. Warped, painted wood panel on the walls. Cheap parquet raised above the connected flooring. Above the tall part of the crawlspace for easy rewiring. We'll see how we survive it.

Lol that was me years ago trying to do bathroom tiling. I finished a subpar job and getting Bath Fitter to re-do everything for me but I'll always remember the first smack of the hammer against the old tile,

"I regret doing this."
My wife will do the finishing. Her parents did everything DIY, so she was slave labor from a very young age. They did very good work. Her dad was meticulous until he got Parkinson's. Built the kitchen cabinets and everything. Nothing looked DIY. Really wish he were still around to help us.

Her mom will help as much as possible, but she's the same personality as me. My wife is patient and meticulous like her dad. I want to get things done in the most efficient way possible. We've really only done painting since we've rented, but even then, she cuts in paint better than a lot of pros. It is incredibly slow with very small strokes, but it's nearly perfect. She also won't tolerate drips, hairs in the paint, etc.

So now I notice this **** when we tour houses. "Looks like a DIY floor job. Got hairs embedded in the poly, bubbles, and drips."

I have a friend who just bought a house. The in-laws are flippers. She's sent us pics of some of the painting they've done. It's horrendous. Really takes a certain personality to do that finish work.

My grandparents did the opposite. They insisted that the Danish lamps over the dining table and bar of their lake michigan cottage should remain when they sold it... Much to the chagrin of the children who wanted the lamps. Something along the lines of they were part of the charm and made the space and replacing them with some random pendants from home depot would ruin it.

Of course i wouldn't be surprised if those lamps are now in a landfill... They were lovely lamps, but they weren't brand new and they showed signs of hanging in a humid environment for decades. I'd say 80%+ chance whoever bought it did a kitchen reno so all of the "charm" is gone along with the lights.

I can't recall what they were off the top of my head, wasn't something iconic like a ph5. Was one large half sphere over a smaller inverted sphere, solid outside color, white inside.

Edit: they were Verner Panton flowerpot lamps: https://www.design-mkt.com/119837-n...-flowerpot-pendant-light-in-original-box.html
I think it was 2 orange and 2 navy. Maybe it was 3 over the bar counter.
View attachment 1507737
Lot of money in lamps to leave behind for an unappreciative buyer...
I will definitely be taking down any expensive fixtures (assuming I can still use them) before I sell and replacing with cheap sputnik lamps or whatever's trendy then. If I had expensive modular shelving like Vitsoe, I'd take that down, too. That's not a value add for most buyers.

IMO better to take it down before you show instead of doing the "this doesn't convey" thing. Case in point: the custom built treehouse my seller tried to renege on. Should have just taken it down and given it to her grandkids in advance. That's not going to be a deal breaker for anyone, but once it's part of the deal, someone might get attached to it.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will definitely be taking down any expensive fixtures (assuming I can still use them) before I sell and replacing with cheap sputnik lamps or whatever's trendy then. If I had expensive modular shelving like Vitsoe, I'd take that down, too. That's not a value add for most buyers.

IMO better to take it down before you show instead of doing the "this doesn't convey" thing. Case in point: the custom built treehouse my seller tried to renege on. Should have just taken it down and given it to her grandkids in advance. That's not going to be a deal breaker for anyone, but once it's part of the deal, someone might get attached to it.

Yeah, exactly. Go to home depot/ikea/whatever and buy something generic and contemporary to replace. 1 item is about the max--so you can keep your dining chandelier and people will understand that, but you can't have a list of 10 different lights/faucets/shelves that you plan to pull.

Probably a PITA though if you end up living in it during a slow market. You have to do a bunch of work to make your home less attractive (to your own eye), and then you have to store all of the things you removed.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably a PITA though if you end up living in it during a slow market. You have to do a bunch of work to make your home less attractive (to your own eye), and then you have to store all of the things you removed.
Isn't that selling in general though? I've toured plenty of homes where they have furniture and boxes crammed in the garage to declutter, closets packed to the brim, etc. There was one home where they clearly turned their tiny master bedroom into a sitting room to stage it to look bigger. The only beds in the house were 2 twin beds, but it was clear a married couple was still living there (Ozzie & Harriet style, I guess).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads