• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Pulling the trigger on repainting our building. Thank god for the HOA: we’re looking at >$40,000 and I’d hate to have to shell that out on my own. That’s for only 3 walls; we’re semi-detached.

Our building is about 3,500 square feet, in 3 units, so basically equivalent to a single large home. Maintenance costs on a large Victorian in SF are absolutely massive.

Meanwhile we all like to pretend that there’s nothing wrong with our foundation (which is literally crumbling away in places), because we don’t even know where to begin with that one.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused, why is the painting cost so high? I have quotes for my house, 3200sq feet, single family home, and it also has 4 walls, but big and tall, and it is only 14k....

Are they replacing the clapboard too or something? Maybe I should become a san francisco painter in my returement

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused, why is the painting cost so high? I have quotes for my house, 3200sq feet, single family home, and it also has 4 walls, but big and tall, and it is only 14k....

Are they replacing the clapboard too or something? Maybe I should become a san francisco painter in my returement
California love, baby.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my rot disaster is not as bad as it could be. I had a good contractor who is a friend of mine go look at it and he said 10-15k, probably more like 10. The sellers agreed to cover 5k in closing costs to offset.

I actually plan on tearing out that whole bathroom and adding a bedroom/bathroom to that end, so I'll probably just close up the wall for a few months and pretend I don't know what's inside and then take care of it when I do the remodel.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Victorian paint schemes involve multiple colors, lots of fine detail trim work, and in SF, likely a scaffold and netting. Atlas could murder out the paint and maybe save some money on this round, but the darker colors tend to have a shorter lifespan.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at our HOA documents and it looks like someone faxed a copy to someone else then had them scan it in at such a ****** resolution. My lot has a special call out because it sits in 2 counties but I can't read a damned thing.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paid property taxes today. Not fun. Was grumbling to the Mrs. and she pointed out that given the price appreciation this year with the COVID exodus, we are probably still about 10% ahead of our carrying cost. Actual cash out the door still feels much realer than potential, unrecognized capital gains.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had your money I'd throw mine away.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads