• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very windy yesterday night, basically negated all the sweeping I did the same afternoon. Now you guys have me bookmarking a leaf blower.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ryobi tools are great. I bought a 5 tool and 2 battery set maybe 3 years ago in a pinch for something ridiculous like $179. I figured I would upgrade to something better but never felt the need to. They have been used extensively under rough conditions and they perform great.

They are frequently seen at jobsites, but maybe not sexy enough for SForvmites.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it is pretty hard to beat Ryobi on value.

If you just bought a home and needed a whole suite of tools, one of those brushless Ryobi kits that I see pop up on slickeals where you get a circular saw, drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, and some random other tool plus a couple 18V batteries would be an easy choice.

If you aren't going to be using them daily on job sites, it is a perfectly good system to buy into, lot of options and the tools are all decent.

Although if you are looking at blowers and stuff...are you looking at higher voltage systems? If you get a 40V blower or something, it doesn't really matter if it matches your hand tool battery brand.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it is pretty hard to beat Ryobi on value.

If you just bought a home and needed a whole suite of tools, one of those brushless Ryobi kits that I see pop up on slickeals where you get a circular saw, drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, and some random other tool plus a couple 18V batteries would be an easy choice.

If you aren't going to be using them daily on job sites, it is a perfectly good system to buy into, lot of options and the tools are all decent.

Although if you are looking at blowers and stuff...are you looking at higher voltage systems? If you get a 40V blower or something, it doesn't really matter if it matches your hand tool battery brand.
DeWalt has a system that uses the same battery for 20V and 60V tools. No idea how well it works.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That one battery system **** is bullshit. Also, **** you Ryobi. I bought a ******* jigsaw, got home, opened it to use and couldn't do a ******* thing with it. Their ******* tools don't come with goddamn batteries. Imagine buying a cellphone and not being able to use it unless you buy separate power source? How the **** you gonna sell power tools without any ******* power. Assholes.

The battery is a huge fraction of the cost of those things, so it's nice to be able to get the tool-only version if you already have the battery from another purchase.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeWalt has a system that uses the same battery for 20V and 60V tools. No idea how well it works.
3 20 volt batteries? You need a fuckin' crane to lift that beast.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an EGO mower, edger, trimmer, and blower. They are very good battery-powered lawn tools, particularly the mower. I use the 7.5 Ah with the mower and a 2.5 Ah battery for the other three devices. I have a pretty small property, and the 2.5 often will not last more than 20 minutes, particularly with the leaf blower on high power. I swap-in the 7.5 to finish, but it's fairly heavy. They are 56V batteries.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 20 volt batteries? You need a fuckin' crane to lift that beast.
It's 1 battery. 3x the Ah running 20v than 60.

Also DeWalt makes a less powerful 450 cfm blower that runs on 20v.

Anyway... I'm cheap and will probably get Ryobi power tools. The 6 tool kit* is on sale for $200 right now. The equivalent DeWalt is $600 ($500 at Lowe's. Not even on sale. Weird.)

* it's kinda bullshit that they count a flashlight as a tool.

I have an ancient Ryobi drill that's kind of ******, so I have a low opinion of them. Apparently they've improved??

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CPOOutlets is a good online source for tools... i have had good luck with some of their refurbished stuff as well as new.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Milwaukee tools I have, and they go on stupid sales at home depot regularly.
Before batt tools they were the workhorse drills in construction. I still have a corded 1/2" pistol and a sawzall that ended up in my garage for when **** gets serious. Their 1/2" rt angle head drill was also a beast. It made a great driver on a hot tap machine good smooth variable speed triggers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads