• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a person currently in unsuccessfully trying to sell, I would add that there may be rational reasons to do so. Of course, every market is different. The unit I'm selling is priced high relative to where most recent transactions have occurred in a specific market that has been hard hit by COVID (high rise condos). It's a tough market to rent it out in (for the same reason) so I've resigned myself to letting it sit for a while and hopefully some unicorn buyer decides they have to own it. Have had a few showings but no offers as of yet. I am sure that if I race to the bottom I could have a quicker sale, now that there are deals closing, but it's not clear to me that it's in my best interests to do so.
I'm seeing a lot of non-updated houses priced as if they were updated. The updated ones sell within days. The non-updated ones sit.

The house that I said we were "bullish" on turned out to be a bust. The updates were DIY (tile looked like it was grouted by a 5-year-old), there were possible structural problems, and the electrical looked dodgy (mostly 2-prong and no GFCI). It's probably still overpriced by 10%, but eventually someone will give in.

Pretty obvious it came back on the market because of a bad inspection or low appraisal.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Around me there are few updated houses. They are either brand new or 20 years without updates. The price difference is substantial. I wonder what a house like mine that is fully updated would do. We have done pretty much everything.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We're looking at a house (online) that would work really well for us layout-wise. The problem is the inside looks like the '80s threw up all over it. Every room has wallpaper. (Have you ever stripped wallpaper? It's not fun.) It's going for above updated comps. Once again I'd take it for ~85% of asking price, but that's probably not going to happen.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are getting closer and closer to putting our house on the market, 3 weeks probably. We are finishing all of the little projects that are left half done and waiting on paint. We are going to look at Granite bathroom counters tomorrow and hopefully that will be the last project to be completed.

Our RE thinks the house will sell in a week or so. apparently, at our price range, there is almost no inventory and we apparently live in a crazy good spot. Our struggle is to figure out where to move to. This is a bit of a cluster all in all

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If I was to move back to that area Grosse Isle would be high on my list.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grosse Ile is very nice, We would like to stay a bit closer to my parents in West Bloomfield, plus limited housing option on the island. We are also may be looking for some more land? Not really sure. We are debating and turning through 50 different directions at once. On one level, I kinda hope the house doesn't sell. on the other, It would be nice to pay things off. I don't know. i don't know if we will agree on where to live.

i reached out to my uncle to see if he would be interested in selling the old family home to me, I love that house. Will see if I have the political capital to win that battle with the wifey if it comes to pass. In all honesty, at this point, we agree that we need 4 walls and a roof, and price point. we disagree on literally every other feature we discuss

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although, if you feel like lending your ol' buddy Marc a few hundred thousand dollars, there are a few places I would buy down there.... I would always reserve you a room, and I would formally call the estate "La maison de la folie de piobaire"

hit me up bro

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're looking at a house (online) that would work really well for us layout-wise. The problem is the inside looks like the '80s threw up all over it. Every room has wallpaper. (Have you ever stripped wallpaper? It's not fun.) It's going for above updated comps. Once again I'd take it for ~85% of asking price, but that's probably not going to happen.
Wallpaper is easy to fix, layout, not so much.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About to do my first bathroom remodel and trying to convince myself not to go overboard with handmade tile by Heath or Cle Tile and to just settle for a similar tile that is drastically less expensive. Anyone have recs on decent mid range tile companies/suppliers to look at?
Heath seconds. For real.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got one of the Overkill Grills installed. This is the pellet smoker.

IMG_2433.jpg

Insulating jacket is in place for the companion gas grill when it does arrive (last-minute production issue). Very relieved the dimensions were exactly as specified! Should be a pretty sweet setup.

IMG_2432.jpg

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think my wife finally believes me when I say, "if a house sits on the market (or comes back on after going pending), there's usually a reason." There are some delusional sellers out there right now. OTOH why not swing for the fences if you can afford to let your house sit?
Are these usual reasons why houses just sit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads