• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The company is local. Fixed pricing tiers are $5K/$7.5K/$10K. Said most go with the lower two tiers and the middle tier adds a video, better pics, better social media and I forget what else. We went with the $7.5K one as $10K is for more unique properties that need extra media and other Pre-sale items like appraisal and inspection. Pics turned out better than expected which was nice and not over saturated which you see a lot of here.

1-2% isn’t going to break us or keep us out of houses we are looking at. Will say we have had a lot more out of area perspective buyers than I would have guessed. Was thinking maybe 1-2 but it is closer to half.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can’t find a house in LA/OC in a (relatively good) area for under $500/sq ft. Ugh

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not SoCal, but still. Wtf is this ****

1597026565351.png

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Washington, D.C., and inventory is down across the metro area. Combine that with record low interest rates, and it makes sense that median housing prices are increasing.

median-region-prices.jpg

I understand the tightening of inventory in the suburbs, but I was surprised to see that the city itself is also seeing a fairly big drop in inventory.

1597069209192.png

And the inventory drop is happening in basically every neighborhood in the city. This list of D.C. neighborhoods shows an inventory drop (some quite significant) in every neighborhood except one. I find this counter to what I would have expected and what seems to be happening in places like NYC and SF.

1597069646995.png

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another amusing anecdote---A friend of mine just got a contract on a house. They got three offers for list price the same day it was listed. They only picked hers because she insisted on seeing it first; the other two were sight-unseen. It's so easy to back out of contracts in this state that no sane person would accept a sight-unseen offer. IMO, of course. Me, I would have relisted the house for 10% more. Hah.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am on the market. I have seen some condos that indicate their (high) fees cover taxes. As the listings don't specify, what taxes could this be referring to? Property taxes?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I am on the market. I have seen some condos that indicate their (high) fees cover taxes. As the listings don't specify, what taxes could this be referring to? Property taxes?

Sounds like it, yes. I think I’ve heard of that, a single property tax bill for the building that’s included in your condo fee.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any taxes for owning a condo are going to be property taxes, by definition. Including them in fees would be weird around here, since people pay different tax rates depending on their circumstances (homestead exemption, though I'm not sure how that works with multi-unit buildings). There might be some other assessments if you rented it out, though, but I doubt the building is going to pay those for you.

I came across a really cool house recently. 6000 sq-ft on 4 acres in a run-down, swampy, commercial part of an overall good suburb with some of the best schools in the state. 15 minutes to the downtown, but all the neighbors are businesses and the only residences nearby are apartments. Not much curb appeal (you can barely see it from the road anyway), but it's 90% trimmed out like a mansion, with a conventional foundation (unusual around here), 10' ceilings throughout, 2" thick mahogany doors, custom wrought iron everywhere, massive hand-hewn, mortised amish beams, recovered stain glass windows and antique fixtures everywhere, etc. The main fireplace and surround are 8 feet wide and 20 feet tall and are actually tasteful. A 1200-sq-ft brick shop behind it. But the people who built it obviously ran out of money because there's $200 home depot bath tubs, no walk-in showers, bargain appliances, etc. The countertops are all tiled. The whole place is dingy, and they were ambitious with the wood floors (like 30' wide in places and no quarter round moulding!) and didn't initially put proper moisture control in the crawl space, so there's 4000+ sq ft of buckled floors. All really easy to fix though. $80k and two years and I'd have it tricked out like it was supposed to be. But Mrs. Turk won't go for it. What's the point of owning a house like that if you're embarrassed to invite people over because of the neighborhood? (I wouldn't be; I'm from Louisiana!) Who would the kids ride the bus with? I don't want to have to deal with working on a house for two years. Etc. I tried to explain to her that living in a stained-glass mansion in the swamp doesn't make you weird, it makes you eccentric. No joy.

I did manage to get her to agree to move up a bit house wise, but the one she wants is twice the price, twice as far from town, the lot's half the size and the house isn't half as nice. And of course it's been freshly remodeled so there's nothing for me to work on. Made an offer on it last night, no word back yet. Fortunately the upper-ish end of the market here isn't crazy like the mid range, and sellers are still negotiating.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are still on the market though the realtor said there is a couple working on an offer. There has been quite a bit of interest from CA and NY buyers but no bites yet. There is a house we really like where the sellers have put in a contingent offer on a place they want to move to. Based on this potential offer, it would be a weird daisychain of offers which I doubt would fly. Maybe a couple of this weekends showings will turn up something better for us.

The worst part of this experience is the dog thinks we are leaving him or something even though we bring him everywhere with us when there are showings at the house. He just wants to camp out in his few spots around the house in the sunlight and sleep. Poor old guy is 9.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads