• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a recent story here about how some management firm was embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars [each] from a bunch of local HOAs. Surprise! The residents thought they were just wasting it like all the other HOAs do.

Not surprising in the slightest frankly.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the houses we are looking at have HOAs. The pluses are community pools, playgrounds, and nice common areas. The downside is I have to get approval to do anything.

Still a lot to figure out for us.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I know there are nightmare HOAs but I continue to like mine. Mrs. Piob might actually join as they've been actively recruiting her given her expertise in civil engineering. There is a four person HEAC (homeowner executive architecture committee) for folks that want to make exterior changes other than things like standard pools, etc. that just get rubber stamped. She might do it at some point when the current PE leaves it. Good way to make sure no one does something ugly and/or stupid to hurt the property values.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My HOA is great. I never hear from them and it's ~500 a year.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We don't have an HOA, but we have the San Francisco Planning Department and a ****** Board of Supervisors. If you consider our taxes a proxy for HOA fees, I think I'm getting fucked by my HOA.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6440FA0E-E864-4AF0-9581-CA731A9F52DB.jpeg

Got the backsplash behind the cooktop in and cleaned up. The rest of the backsplash will be the same Material as the countertops.
When I uncrated the metal it turned out to be pretty badly curved, wanting to roll up on me. Had to get pretty creative to get it up and braced flat against the wall while the adhesive set up.
83D0AF72-DAF2-49B1-8A4E-A800230BEFE1.jpeg

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have electrical work tips?

Bought a gas dryer, didn't realize the power cord could not extend to where the washer is also plugged in. Requirement is 120v. There's an old 220v three prong plug right where the dryer is and I realized after the fact it is for electric dryers. The gas dryer was installed already and tested and works. And it is not safe to continue using an extension cord. I've had this new dryer for a week only, is my only option to return and go electric?

I was looking for adapters and cannot find a reliable one. This seems like it may do but I am hesitant. Or does someone have a good electrician to recommend in the East Bay?

I'm so annoyed right now.

Edit:
Will this adapter work? From Home Depot.

Last edited:

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Potential solutions off the top of my head:

1. Install longer cord on the dryer.
2. Install new outlet branching off from the washer outlet.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bought a gas dryer, didn't realize the power cord could not extend to where the washer is also plugged in. Requirement is 120v. There's an old 220v three prong plug right where the dryer is and I realized after the fact it is for electric dryers. The gas dryer was installed already and tested and works. And it is not safe to continue using an extension cord. I've had this new dryer for a week only, is my only option to return and go electric?

I was looking for adapters and cannot find a reliable one. This seems like it may do but I am hesitant. Or does someone have a good electrician to recommend in the East Bay?

Edit:
Pretty simple re wire if this scares you get an electrician

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1422393
Got the backsplash behind the cooktop in and cleaned up. The rest of the backsplash will be the same Material as the countertops.
When I uncrated the metal it turned out to be pretty badly curved, wanting to roll up on me. Had to get pretty creative to get it up and braced flat against the wall while the adhesive set up.
View attachment 1422402

Maybe I missed it, but deets on the cabinets? Those are sweet.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but deets on the cabinets? Those are sweet.

Thanks! They are birch, small local custom shop. FWIW, pricing from small custom shops is similar to big brands semi-custom lines, at least in the Seattle area.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Edit:

The power cord is probably barely attached. I bet if you open the dryer up (may not be that easy...) you can replace it with a longer one pretty easily.

A three-prong 240v outlet isn't wired for 120v (it has no neutral) and can't* be used EXCEPT that you could go into your fuse box and replace its breaker with a 120v one, then replace the outlet itself with a 120v one. That may be a bit tricky if the gauge of the wire is too large.

Honestly, it's not a big deal to use an extension cord for the dryer. Get one of those junction boxes that protects and holds the cords together and just roll with it.

* You actually can use the ground as a neutral but it's not advised for myriad reasons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics