• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I was hoping I could get into the neighborhood where I'm renting before it blew up. Houses rarely come on the market. A 775 sqft. bungalow (not even fully updated, just new appliances, countertops, & paint on the cabinets) just went on the market for $262k. Fml.

(this probably belongs in the pleb thread)

Stop trying to live in a hipster neighborhood or accept a split level.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was hoping I could get into the neighborhood where I'm renting before it blew up. Houses rarely come on the market. A 775 sqft. bungalow (not even fully updated, just new appliances, countertops, & paint on the cabinets) just went on the market for $262k. Fml.

(this probably belongs in the pleb thread)
$262k down-payment, right?
Bringing into existence, while providing ongoing and gainful employment to local artisans?
You're a patron of the arts.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a patron of the arts.

A patron of the crafts

I finished moving the first delivery of stone yesterday. 11 tons or so delivered, spread, and washed off .

It is really pretty actually, 15-20 more tons to go

IMG_20200707_203344_01.jpg
IMG_20200707_203318_01.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mouse report = one this morning. Think I'm at nearly a dozen now. Die you muthafackas!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our house should be on the market at the end of the month. Rant - when our dog was younger, he would literally gnaw on the f**king floors. We are going to fix this before the house is signed off on by the new owner but I can't get any flooring person to call me back.

I joke that there are "Have's and Have Not's" at all levels. I can't even throw money at this issue and win...

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s good to be a tradesman these days. The flooring guy I was bitching about earlier tried to charge me both a SQFT rate and for time and materials. Wonder how many people just sign the invoice and pay up.

He also tried to bill me square footage in excess of the actual size of the room. When called on this he said he charges square footage for materials *used* not installed. Lol. So he’s trying to say that he gets paid double for any material he destroys during the install?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Our house should be on the market at the end of the month. Rant - when our dog was younger, he would literally gnaw on the f**king floors. We are going to fix this before the house is signed off on by the new owner but I can't get any flooring person to call me back.

I joke that there are "Have's and Have Not's" at all levels. I can't even throw money at this issue and win...
Stop being such a small-timer and replace the floors in your entire house. Sheesh...

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Final inspection of some outdoor plumbing and electrical work done today. Work was completed almost 2 years ago but town misfiled the paperwork and despite the fact that I have the paperwork saying all passed, they insisted they come out again.

Plumbing inspector simply asked me if the outdoor sink worked. He didnt turn on the water, look at the 2 gas lines we had run from the main, check under the sink, check drainage we put in, etc. Took about 30 seconds and he passed it all.

Electrical inspector checked to see if 1 out of the 10 outlets we installed was grounded. He even asked me which one i wanted him to check. He didnt look at the wiring run inside conduit, see if it had been put on its own breaker, etc. Took maybe 60 seconds.

Bureaucracy at its finest. At least no open permits on my property anymore.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a project half-way done when the pandemic shutdown started. We were putting in a gas fireplace.

They did the final inspection by Zoom.

It took maybe 45 seconds. Fortunately all the leak tests and such had already been done or I'm not sure they'd have allowed us to do maybe. Maybe they'd have had the plumber do it on site and show the results on Zoom, I dunno.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one likes inspections... the entire process sucks, but the one benefit to them is the idea that they protect you from shoddy work. That goes away if there isnt even a modicum of a proper inspection performed.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the former instance, it sounds like the inspections were complete, but some pain ********** was insisting that because they lost their record, it had to be done again. Obviously the inspector realized this, and was just satisfying the paper pusher. No harm there. In the latter, the substantive tests seem to have been performed and accepted beforehand. No harm in this case, either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads