• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
903DF26B-7BB3-49A6-BF35-BDEFF0FB71C4.jpeg

here’s a closeup so you can see the sparkles, it’s fairly subtle, and not only does my wife love anything sparkly, but it will hide a bit of dirt and debris. Tiles are LVT so they are no maintenance, won’t get too cold in the winter, as well as being more forgiving than a tile floor. Part of Manningtons commercial line.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
our place was built in 62, there were tiles under the ancient carpet in the office rooms, they were white with sparkly flakes and original, just like that. looks great, i'm guessing period correct? i like the biased check.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We gotta lotta trees in Marin.

I talked to the former chair of the HOA board (in the course of our own hassle with them) and she said the most intractable disputes were those about views/trees. They have open enforcement actions going back two decades or more. God help you if you cut a neighbor's tree -- the courts will enforce full value of a similarly mature replacement, which can be hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on the species.
Californians don't **** around with their trees.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
our place was built in 62, there were tiles under the ancient carpet in the office rooms, they were white with sparkly flakes and original, just like that. looks great, i'm guessing period correct? i like the biased check.
Thanks!
As for period correctness, that is a bit up to interpretation. Certainly the material is modern, our house was built in 1960, and so a period correct man-made material for tiles would be VCT, (which has a lot less vinyl than these and requires waxing), or possibly linoleum tiles, or the 9” tiles that usually have asbestos in them.

As far as design, I think of checkerboard (in the kitchen) to be more of a 30s-50s style. But to be fair, design trends echo for at least a decade and a half after they peak, so, while a checker floor in the kitchen might have been a bit “out of style” by 1960, it is still “period correct” as far as I’m concerned in that it people were still installing them.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other thing that I’ve learned about mid century construction and design is that compared with today, there were SO many more manufacturers of products. It’s not surprising now that I think about it, being the height of manufacturing in the US. But there were a lot more local or regional manufacturers making unique products that were limited in production and distribution. Your original sparkle floor tile is a good example, I have done a *lot* of research, and have never seen nor heard of it, but I don’t doubt that it was original.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting as i think we are in the same region.

these had a possibly gold flake in white tile (some tiles looked toned) on slab adjacent to the garage in what was probably originally a laundry room. we *abated* them ourselves (9") and did a clean job. the mastic was surprisingly free of asbestos and not tacky so we left it under the plank vinyl stuff we put in. the other half of this space was not tiled and part of an addition. yours looks good.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will admit some delay on my end but we can get into better public schools if we move versus sending to private school. Also there is a waitlist here to spend $20K+ per year per kid to send to private school so even if I was willing to pay the fees. Total savings for Elementary school would be $45K * 6 = $270K minimum plus would have to pay before and after care which is roughly $10K per year per kid.

There is one area of town with a similar land situation as we currently have so we would not be paying $800K+ to be 3 feet from a neighbor.
Wait, is that 270k per year or total?

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im my neck of the woods, you either pay for private schools or live in an area with crazy taxes and get really good public schools. It winds up basically being the same thing financially. We chose the high taxes and will move and build our forever home once the kids graduate high school.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you can be like muggins here and pay the crazy property taxes and the private school fees. We did previously get 13 cumulative years of private school for free on expat contracts, so can't complain too loudly.

(Also @jbarwick don't forget that you will be expected to donate to school fundraising appeals on top of the fees. Our last one had the head of IR for a big hedge fund as treasurer. He would just figure out roughly what you make and "suggest" a number.)

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Our last one had the head of IR for a big hedge fund as treasurer. He would just figure out roughly what you make and "suggest" a number.)

There’s nothing roughly about it. He looks you up in a “wealth screening” tool like Wealth Engine and it spits out your net worth, annual income, and major giving history, as well as proprietary calculations of your “propensity” and “capability” to give.

It’s creepy as **** to see your information laid out like that, but there isn’t much you can do about it.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The county south has better public schools and lower taxes. I am pretty much permanent work from home at my current company so we would move closer to my wife’s job potentially. Plus a lot of people move there for the schools.

We are currently weighing how much house we want and long term upkeep. Then once we find houses weighing pricing and updating. Finding a lot of people with questionable taste and terrible upgrades but who am I to judge when I keep the company of you guys on a clothing forum?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There’s nothing roughly about it. He looks you up in a “wealth screening” tool like Wealth Engine and it spits out your net worth, annual income, and major giving history, as well as proprietary calculations of your “propensity” and “capability” to give.

It’s creepy as **** to see your information laid out like that, but there isn’t much you can do about it.

People don't realize this. Check into a non-profit hospital with an active Foundation? If you're a big fish you can expect visits from the brass just "checking in with a random patient" to see how their stay is going.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Last night's catch makes the fifth mouse in a week. Die you muthafuckas.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago (at our last house) some rats set up a den under our front steps and I had to wage a similar campaign. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads