• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone use air purifiers at home? I bought the Coway Airmega 200m based on Wirecutter's recommendation. Been extremely happy with it. Runs silent and I've noticed my allergies aren't as bad after putting one in my room.

Their top pick is on sale right now for a good price, but i don't care for how it looks. The Airmega 200m looks nicer to my eyes.

Need to buy another to cover my space, but waiting on it to go on sale again.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used a hammer drill for the first time today on some hard 60s concrete. One of those instances where there is a right tool for the job...

A cheap corded Ryobi refurb off eBay and a good Bosch masonry bit and I made 4 good holes in less time than it originally took me to drill one and a half holes and kill a cheap bit.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a sonos move because my wife wanted a speaker for her home office and since she likes to have something portable while she is gardening in the front, i figured the move was a better call than another sonos one. It should also be nice to bring it to the beach house we rent in the summer.

Pretty slick. And it has alexa/airplay built in so it will be nice to put it on the patio and be able to control the patio speakers with just your voice vs your phone. (Patio speakers are connected to a play amp but that lives in the garage so voice control is not helpful). Other than that it will live in her office.

One lesson learned: After you
rename/name speakers you for sure need to make sure they are all named the exact same thing and grouped in the same room in sonos app, alexa, and homekit. I had slight differences at first and it kept reverting to weird names and then disconnecting.

Turns out amazon and apple dont play well together (shocking).

If you dont change to same names with exact same capitalizations and whatnot when you use one service it tries to force the other to change to whatever it is called in its own queue and all ******* hell breaks loose.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just deadheaded our first crop (is that the right term?) of roses. Salvia and violets picking up the slack for now as the new blooms come in.

IMG_1580.jpg

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is everyone using these days for wifi extenders / bridge devices? I have been using a bunch of hard wired apple airport express devices in bridge mode which has really worked great and has been rock solid but one just crapped out and apple no longer makes them... wondering if its time for a whole house upgrade. Fios is my internet provider if that matters.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is everyone using these days for wifi extenders / bridge devices? I have been using a bunch of hard wired apple airport express devices in bridge mode which has really worked great and has been rock solid but one just crapped out and apple no longer makes them... wondering if its time for a whole house upgrade. Fios is my internet provider if that matters.
I just got a Linksys mesh system and it was a huge upgrade from the crappy WiFi router that FIOS gave me. Nearly 10x upgrade if you plug directly into it, and 3-5x on the WiFi.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you disable wireless on fios router, plug your system into fios router via ethernet, and take it from there?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I assume you disable wireless on fios router, plug your system into fios router via ethernet, and take it from there?

I actually have both running. I plugged the mesh router into the FIOS router, and left all my miscellaneous devices running off it. The computers and higher bandwidth stuff goes off the new one.

It's good IT security too. All your internet of thing devices, lightbulbs and thermostats and whatever else, can be on a seperate network from your devices with potentially sensitive info.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm using the Amplifi system:

If you need something more substantial (and can deal with a more complicated setup), my very picky and geeky friend uses Ubiquiti across his small estate:

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of keeping the fios router for tv/lights/sonos/irrogation/thermostats/etc and the mesh strictly for phones/ipads/laptops.

I want something relatively simple that can be hidden easily. All of my airports are hidden.

Key for me is that each node operates as a bridge so you dont have to deal with your devices switching between networks from one node to the next. I also want something with ethernet backhaul since i have a cat6 in every room. I feel like whatever i use will be an upgrade but i would like a relatively future proof option.

Id only like to deal with this once every 5 years or so. Wifi 6 appears to be close. I wonder if I should just try to find a used airport express and just live with this for another year.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I got the chance to do it right from the beginning with a new home being build, I’ve made preparations to have access points on all three floors. Combined with a switch connected to glass fiber and hardwired points for TV and computer we should be set for a very long time.

The only choice still to be made is whether to go with TP-Link (EAP 245) or ubiquiti lite for the access points.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics