• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm praying the market falls a bit here, at least the builder speculation & flipping taking reasonably priced homes off the market.

I'm keeping my ear to the ground since I'll be looking to buy soon.

I've read/heard that mortgage lending is tightening significantly. You need bigger down payments, higher credit scores (680+), lower DTI, and sometimes reserves. Lenders are really tight with jumbo loans especially. Basically anything high risk.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That cyclone rake looks like the real deal. Great name too!

Do any of you folks have a whole-house generator? I'm obviously working from home now and anticipating that I will more and more. I could shave off about 50% of the total price to have a partial generator, but I like the peace-of-mind of having the whole shebang. We have a large house, so it's no small expense, however, I wonder does it have any effect on property value, assuming you get a good one? It's not the prettiest thing to have on the side of the house, especially with the fuel tanks.

i have a whole house generac powered by NG. it’s tied into the main panel. If the power goes out, it starts up and we have power again within 10 seconds. We dont lose power often, but when we do, its amazing. I highly recommend them.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just missed it. I was in NYC for work in August 2003 when the whole NorthEast went out. We had checked out of the St. Regis and were about to get a car to the airport. Quickly realized that wasn't going to fly (literally) and doubled back to the hotel. Luckily my boss had VVIP status with (then) Starwood and they magically found some rooms for us again. We spent the next few days in the King Cole bar, which had pretty much gone to an honor system with the registers out, getting blasted. It was a difficult time.

;)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was there, but in NJ. I lost power, but in NJ we lost power monthly so nbd

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was there as well but in the the suburbs, home from college for the summer.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is one house in our neighborhood that was purchased and remodeled then put back on the market. It didn't sell the first time they put it on the market and have raised the price each time they relist. That's not how this works buddy.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patrick that's great luck! I'm based in Bucks County PA and there's at least a yearly power outage, usually only an hour or two, occasionally during a big storm it could be a couple days!!

Back to non-obscene chicken discussion, ha! Our chickens are not leaving their coup, I suppose out of pure fright. My wife wants to buy an enclosure area, but they're so ugly, like a giant cage. I thought chickens can roam free (our yard is fenced, but we have a boisterous, but friendly mini-poodle). Was that too idealistic? I wonder if the family's interest in chickens will wane shortly once they have to start cleaning the excrement.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Property tax deadline day. Ouch.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We spent the next few days in the King Cole bar, which had pretty much gone to an honor system with the registers out, getting blasted. It was a difficult time.

;)

Thank you for your sacrifice!

I was in the Midwest with the power outage as a Jr. in High School. It was.... sort of anti-climactic actually. I do remember waiting an hour for gasoline. But that was the only real weird thing. I still don't have a whole house generator, never lost power in my current area except for a minute or two

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting the pink azaleas now.

6406D11A-5094-4EDB-B4C7-86BBB70D19EA.jpeg

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick that's great luck! I'm based in Bucks County PA and there's at least a yearly power outage, usually only an hour or two, occasionally during a big storm it could be a couple days!!

Back to non-obscene chicken discussion, ha! Our chickens are not leaving their coup, I suppose out of pure fright. My wife wants to buy an enclosure area, but they're so ugly, like a giant cage. I thought chickens can roam free (our yard is fenced, but we have a boisterous, but friendly mini-poodle). Was that too idealistic? I wonder if the family's interest in chickens will wane shortly once they have to start cleaning the excrement.

Ours roam the yard freely around the yard when the dog is out, otherwise we pen them up. They will eventually come out once they are used to their surroundings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads