• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure if serious. I recall Miele being discussed here last year?

I like the various interchangeable heads and the vacuum being cordless, the Dyson V11 Outsize.

My dad left me with a large industrial vacuum, (Bissell "Big Green") but it is loud as hell. Maybe I should just get ****** to the store, buy some earplugs, and go at it.

Edit:
My house is entirely hardwood FWIW.

Something like this:
1585442689205.png

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a Miele one of the previous times it was mentioned on here, and was for sale.

No regrets. It's been great, and no loss of suction even after sustained use. It's done well on dog hair too, just have to remember to change out the bags.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have all wooden floors and some area rugs.

We have a great central vacuum system but picked up a Dyson cordless to deal with little messes from our two little kids.

We now use the cordless Dyson around 80% of the time. It is wonderful. Our weekly cleaning service uses the central vac though. I might feel differently if we had carpet.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have all wooden floors and some area rugs.

We have a great central vacuum system but picked up a Dyson cordless to deal with little messes from our two little kids.

We now use the cordless Dyson around 80% of the time. It is wonderful. Our weekly cleaning service uses the central vac though. I might feel differently if we had carpet.
LOL I hate my V11. Either it runs out of battery in like 6 minutes on high or the filter needs to be rinsed. When it works it's pretty good though. Wouldn't recommend it. We have like 90% hardwood.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks dudes, I thought about it and will make do with what I have right now. Putting on some earphones.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL I hate my V11. Either it runs out of battery in like 6 minutes on high or the filter needs to be rinsed. When it works it's pretty good though. Wouldn't recommend it. We have like 90% hardwood.

Funny. To each their own i guess. I have a V8. No issues. After a couple years i had to have battery replaced, which they did free of charge. Is it possible you got a bad battery?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Miele, too, but I regret buying an upright and wish I went with a canister vac.

I got the canister. I was suspicious, having only ever had uprights, but I don't think I'd go back now.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love my mine as well, bought the same one for my parents.

Canister is a winner for wood floors and the "parquet twister" is the most delightful vacuum attachment out there.

I only have the air powered turbo brush (rather than an electric carpet brush), but that is plenty good for my area rugs.

Bagless vacs are a scam. My previous one required emptying 10x as often as I need to replace my bag, and because the bag provides stage 1 filtration, you don't have to play that "bang out the dust filled filter" game.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is one of what I'm sure will be many stupid home projects.

A cheap old cutting board (cherry?) that I've had since my first college apartment. It had warped pretty badly after being left sitting in puddlea on the counter too many times... And then it split into 2 pieces (may have tried to "coax" it back to flat with my foot...). Was destined for the trash, but I had held onto the pieces until I could find a same-size replacement... But with an abundance of free time, I decided to fix it.

Glued it up back into one piece. Then I sharpened my ****** kobalt block plane and used it to flatten the back side until it sat flat again as well as to clean up the front. Filled some imperfections with sawdust and glue, and then smoothed everything out. Can see which spots were high or low based on how many cut marks remain.

Used sandpaper wrapped around a chunk of Bic pen to clean up and deepen the juice groove. PITA, but it worked out.

Decided to try out Mahoney's Walnut Oil instead of regular mineral oil. It can harden unlike mineral oil and has been heat treated to remove nut allergens present in culinary walnut oil. Followed it up with some of Mahoney's oil and wax blend, because why not?

IMG_20200329_115917.jpg

Hopefully the glue holds...

Will add stick on feet like I have done with my big wood butcher block. Keeps the board from sliding around and elevates it above any puddles someone may leave it in...

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Looks great!

Add feet along the edges of the break as well, otherwise you’ll be stressing the glue every time you use it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, aren't all of the pieces held together with glue anyways?

The break was in wood, not at one of the existing seams.

But yeah, a middle foot might not be a bad idea

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads