• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which part of California makes one post the least pretentiously on StyFo about his California bona fides? Asking as the husband of a Valley Girl.

San Bernardino? Baker? Fresno? Other terrible places? Also - any and all CA pretension pales next to the great blazing light of our East Coast forebears.

I'll accept a lot of the bad stuff said about CA. As a business owner / Libertarian / gun owner everything my state and local governments do seems to be designed to **** me over on the regular.

That being said - beautiful beaches, deserts, mountains, skiing, wine country, some of the best National Parks (I would say best, but Grand Teton gives Wyoming the crown IMO) are hard to find in one place like we have them. LA probably has the culturally widest food scene in the world. We aren't limited to week old produce and milk at $8 / gallon like in hellish NY bodegas.

We’ve had an influx of former Californians. Does nice things to property values as they’ll pay anything you ask them to.

100% true. We can't help it. The prices here are absurd.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7021E181-05FE-42C6-B103-8D4B35C07E47.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic from the only beach area I would willingly choose to live (Kona coast of Hawai'i).

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.46.38 AM.png

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are posts about our cars, our watches, our clothes (too many) ... maybe there should be one about our houses ... or our yard & gardens ... or the views from our houses.
Oh I have. Growing up had one set of grandparents in San Raphael and one in La Jolla. I'll take the second one anyday, no contest.

We have a second home in La Jolla. I gave up the Bay Area (Berkeley Hills) when I retired. After living there 30 years I thought I would miss it, but I don't.

Last edited:

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Up to a point (privacy is something I do cherish) I’ll bite.
DD31F9C7-780F-4D3C-8815-16F2E228157E.jpeg

this was when they laid the foundations last summer. One of a block of 5. Not much of a view, but it’s an interesting spot.
DEA80B82-5DB5-46DE-8C21-44CF92D28305.jpeg

The site is an old Catholic Church that was torn down partially (the tower and its sides are left standing and will be turned in houses as well). It’s a 5 min walk from the city center, the huge building you see is a former monastery that houses child day care and primary school is about 80m from the front door. In addition the train station is about a 10 min bike ride away.

nature definitely is missing, but that’s the trade off we made for a huge chunk of convenience. which is great considering both of us have careers to tend to as well.

And for those with a law degree, the property deed is awesome. As the land was granted to the church by the municipality about a century ago the oldrules apply. I’m not allowed to start a church in my home unless recognized by the national church council, and no arms, sex or gambling shop allowed, subject to harsh penalties??

brokencycle

Reaction score
Why do you fixate on this? It was a medication I took once.

You may be thinking of someone else because I made one joke about a year ago and that is it.
Up to a point (privacy is something I do cherish) I’ll bite.
View attachment 1343388
this was when they laid the foundations last summer. One of a block of 5. Not much of a view, but it’s an interesting spot. View attachment 1343389
The site is an old Catholic Church that was torn down partially (the tower and its sides are left standing and will be turned in houses as well). It’s a 5 min walk from the city center, the huge building you see is a former monastery that houses child day care and primary school is about 80m from the front door. In addition the train station is about a 10 min bike ride away.

nature definitely is missing, but that’s the trade off we made for a huge chunk of convenience. which is great considering both of us have careers to tend to as well.

And for those with a law degree, the property deed is awesome. As the land was granted to the church by the municipality about a century ago the oldrules apply. I’m not allowed to start a church in my home unless recognized by the national church council, and no arms, sex or gambling shop allowed, subject to harsh penalties??

No guns, sex or gambling in your house? Or you just can't start selling those from your house? Because that could be a deal breaker. ;)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are posts about our cars, our watches, our clothes (too many) ... maybe there should be one about our houses ... or our yard & gardens ... or the views from our houses.

We have a second home in La Jolla. I gave up the Bay Area (Berkeley Hills) when I retired. After living there 30 years I thought I would miss it, but I don't.

La Jolla is amazing. My mom and aunts sold my grandfathers house after he passed. Barely go down anymore but it will probably always be one of my favorite places.

Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We’ve had an influx of former Californians. Does nice things to property values as they’ll pay anything you ask them to.

There is a house near here that we call "The Ostrich". It has an oddly designed 60' tower. There are no "facilities" up there and no elevator. We always joked it would take a Californian to buy it. It did. They laugh about having made it their master bedroom ... for one night.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No guns, sex or gambling in your house? Or you just can't start selling those from your house? Because that could be a deal breaker. ;)
Just selling ?
Aside from gambling, which I don’t have an interest in, i have a permit ? for the others (marriage and hunting)

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
La Jolla bores the **** out of me.

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been awhile but Montecito is pretty nice

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
been awhile but Montecito is pretty nice
It still is.

La Jolla bores the **** out of me.
It can be a tad like a waiting room for the great hereafter. We used to say the average age is slightly beyond death. We drive into town for the occasional breakfast and to shop at the market ... but that is about it. Oh, there is a decent horological shop.

So much about life and living depends on one's friends. They can make or break a place. La Jolla affords us some very good and long-time ones.

Of course, the view is damn good ... and it's so close to San Diego and L.A. ... and Laguna Beach (can't miss that Pageant of Masters ;-) )

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads