• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the point is that you don't need a generator to open your garage door.

And if you have internet on your phone to be able to post on nextdoor, you have internet to watch a YouTube video on how to pull the manual string on your garage door.
Last winter our helper spring broke. Holy ****, a 16’ all wood door weighs like 200lbs. Luckily I was able to get it to a point where my wife could hold it so I could regrip and hoist the door up. After getting both cars out, I dropped the door to a very loud “BOOM!!!” But yes, pulling the release cable and lifting the door is really not all that hard.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the point is that you don't need a generator to open your garage door.

And if you have internet on your phone to be able to post on nextdoor, you have internet to watch a YouTube video on how to pull the manual string on your garage door.

I am aware of the point. Just sharing an anecdote about generator and back-up batteries. Obviously you can open a garage door without any power.

edit: though perhaps not universally obvious.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think the political situation is sad wait till all us old F***ers who spent their lives fixing broke **** are dead

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to pull the cord once to get out, then once the power got back on I couldn't get the damned thing to latch back to the opener.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a used washer and dryer over the next month. Any advice on what to look for? Brands to stay away from, etc? Seems like there are a lot of inexpensive ones floating around on FB marketplace.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a used washer and dryer over the next month. Any advice on what to look for? Brands to stay away from, etc? Seems like there are a lot of inexpensive ones floating around on FB marketplace.

If there is one you like, do a search on the model number. Having sanding, I have had good luck, but there have been recalls.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my neighbors just got their siding redone, and the imbeciles didn't stagger the pieces at all. There's a giant seam right down the middle of the house. Looks like a low bid scenario, but ick. Now it's going to bother me every time and I see it, and I don't even live there.

brokencycle

Reaction score
One of my neighbors just got their siding redone, and the imbeciles didn't stagger the pieces at all. There's a giant seam right down the middle of the house. Looks like a low bid scenario, but ick. Now it's going to bother me every time and I see it, and I don't even live there.

There is a neighbor here that had the same thing. I notice it every time I walk the dog past the house. There are other little things where they cut corners.

When we had our previous house done, there was something oddly satisfying about how they played out the seams.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the 70s my cousin was building his own house with old brick siding. In those days they actually used "old brick". He comes over one day and the bricklayers were actually re assembling the original Coca Cola sign like a jigsaw puzzle. He made them change it.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gearing up to do a bunch of repairs/renovations to the new casa. Hopefully between now and the fall will do kitchen, 1.5 bathrooms, sewer line repair, replace water lines. I would love to get all that stuff knocked out in one fell swoop and not have to live through several construction cycles. I know tradesmen typically don't like to be stepping on each other's toes, but I also really would like this all to happen while I am on summer break.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My nextdoor neighbor has different warmth lightbulbs in the two lights on the ends of his gate. One bright, one warm.

Drives me insane.

Have been tempted to go change them in the middle of the night.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have an HOA. I'm not advocating he should have to change his lights. I'm saying I would never allow such an abomination on my own property.

He also doesn't understand why I cut down the giant invasive brazilian peppers which are disgusting and replaced them with beautiful japanese maples and gingko.

To him big old tree = better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads