• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Starting to get some nice winter camellias in the sunnier spots around the house.

View attachment 1330158

Lovely. Camellias always remind me of my mother, and the lengths she went to to grow them in CT where it gets too cold for them in the winter.

Her solution was to create a heat sink in her greenhouse using empty bleach bottles painted black and filled with rocks, and she had her flowers in January.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camellias are amazing for sheer variety. Here in Los Angeles I'm constantly trying to create more shade so I can plant more Japonica.

They are definitely rough anywhere it gets quite cold in winter. We have a local nursery in Pasadena that has actually created many varieties - they ship all over the country and to Japan. They tell stories all the time of people up in Minnesota and Michigan going to great lengths to grow a single camellia.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of mine opened quite early, but I think I'll be getting the full show next week.
20200206_132501.jpg
20200206_132550.jpg
20200206_132532.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camellias can be pruned and shaped with beautiful results. I bought a home with 3 over grown bushes planted right next to the house.They were all over the place and grew out on to the patio My uncle, an expert at pruning, cut them back to be parallel to the wall and have an easy arch-like shape. They looked stick-like for a while but soon became an impressive wall of blossoms.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So what's the story with how much light to place a fiddle leaf fig in? I keep reading "bright in-direct light" so I initially placed the plant right by my west-facing windows that are quite bright but receive a few hours of direct sunlight as the sun begins to set (mid-late afternoon) plus that location is directly beneath the draft of my a/c-heater. I even fiddled with some blinds near the window to block some of the sunlight but the draft really concerned me. So now, I have placed the plant across the room from the windows that still receives light but it's a little more indirect than I would like - no draft though! Thoughts on which approach is better? It has grown new leaves in the new area (across the room) so I could live with it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They can live in a variety of conditions. There's a coffee shop by me that is like a dungeon inside with one that's just fine.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe they like humidity - so underneath the draft of your AC is probably not good.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to corner the market on Dahlia bulbs.

IMG_0990.jpg

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trying to corner the market on Dahlia bulbs.

Nice. I did a Costco assortment of Dahlias last year and was very pleased by the results. Basically got wall to wall flowers from May to the first frost.

You get them mail order or local?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So what's the story with how much light to place a fiddle leaf fig in? I keep reading "bright in-direct light" so I initially placed the plant right by my west-facing windows that are quite bright but receive a few hours of direct sunlight as the sun begins to set (mid-late afternoon) plus that location is directly beneath the draft of my a/c-heater. I even fiddled with some blinds near the window to block some of the sunlight but the draft really concerned me. So now, I have placed the plant across the room from the windows that still receives light but it's a little more indirect than I would like - no draft though! Thoughts on which approach is better? It has grown new leaves in the new area (across the room) so I could live with it.

I'm no expert, but I've had one in fairly indirect light (southern exposure but not direct in line with the window) for about six months and it's doing fine even in the terribly low humidity in my house over the winter.

I was definitely worried that it wasn't enough light, but doesn't seem like a problem so far.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. I did a Costco assortment of Dahlias last year and was very pleased by the results. Basically got wall to wall flowers from May to the first frost.

You get them mail order or local?

In my limited experience, if you can get bulbs at a local flower show or something the results will be much better than buying bulbs at a box store.

I like Dhalias ok, but oriental lilies grow really well where I live as well as do most roses! I really prefer fragrant flowers in my garden.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my limited experience, if you can get bulbs at a local flower show or something the results will be much better than buying bulbs at a box store.

I like Dhalias ok, but oriental lilies grow really well where I live as well as do most roses! I really prefer fragrant flowers in my garden.

The squirrels ate/knocked over all my lilies last year :mad: Hopefully some of them show back up this year.

The peonies were a success at least. The Itoh varieties are very nice, if stupid expensive.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recently started using a sleep app that records noises in my room as they occur. I got this to try to capture my recurring alien abductions on audio, but so far it has only captured me farting and yelling out in the night (possibly part of the abduction process). The other night I was yelled out "Dahlia!!!" I wonder if I am excited for Spring flowers, or I recognized a visitor in the night (named Dahlia). I am not ruling out a succubus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads