• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW, when I and some Sty-Fo IC notables were given a tour of the kitchen at Robuchon’s The Manson in Vegas back in ‘11 they were already using induction.

Robuchon's definitely an induction advocate.

2008:

What's the one cooking tool that a guy should not be without?
I know it's expensive, but I absolutely think an induction stove. It's much better than gas or electric; you can get whatever you're cooking to as low or high a temperature as you want to a very specific level. But there's no substitute for this.​
Recent?:
• What is your favorite kitchen implement?​
An induction stove – easy to use and to control.

And FWIW Consumer Reports rates the best induction cooktops 98, and the best gas cooktops 93. Induction performs better in tests; gas has better reliability and owner satisfaction.

I'm open to it, but my wife is insistent on gas right now.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just renovated his workshop/workout room (he's a powerlifter) and swears by the rubber mats they use for horse stalls in stables. Says it's by far the cheapest and toughest option. Downside is they're HEAVY so transporting and installing is hard work.

I’d definitely use those but I’m looking for something with a light color.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My house has had an ugly sconce beside the front door which we've never used as a practical light (original not pictured). I was lucky enough to find the time over the holidays to build a small cabinet that made use of the existing switched electrical connection.

I have not made many cabinets, but I was eager to try out an idea I've had for a while to do something fun with light.

The cabinet is made from Douglas fir and white pine, finished lightly with shellac and wax. The Douglas fir was very difficult, and required sandpaper, but the drawer fronts and back are hand planed to finish, and they have a lovely sparkle in the daylight.

The shade is made from shop sawn white pine veneer backed with washi.

I'm really enjoying replacing all the furniture in my house with homemade stuff when I'm able to find the time. I think a coffee table is up next.

Attachments

• Sconce cabinet off SMALL.jpeg
    Sconce cabinet off SMALL.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Sconce cabinet on 4 SMALL.jpeg
    Sconce cabinet on 4 SMALL.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Sconce cabinet on 2 SMALL.jpeg
    Sconce cabinet on 2 SMALL.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 9

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My house has had an ugly sconce beside the front door which we've never used as a practical light (original not pictured). I was lucky enough to find the time over the holidays to build a small cabinet that made use of the existing switched electrical connection.

View attachment 1314123

I have not made many cabinets, but I was eager to try out an idea I've had for a while to do something fun with light.

View attachment 1314126

View attachment 1314127

The cabinet is made from Douglas fir and white pine, finished lightly with shellac and wax. The Douglas fir was very difficult, and required sandpaper, but the drawer fronts and back are hand planed to finish, and they have a lovely sparkle in the daylight.

View attachment 1314128

The shade is made from shop sawn white pine veneer backed with washi.

View attachment 1314130

View attachment 1314131

I'm really enjoying replacing all the furniture in my house with homemade stuff when I'm able to find the time. I think a coffee table is up next.

Very cool... why does your door knob need a diagram to tell you which way to open it?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robuchon's definitely an induction advocate.

2008:

What's the one cooking tool that a guy should not be without?
I know it's expensive, but I absolutely think an induction stove. It's much better than gas or electric; you can get whatever you're cooking to as low or high a temperature as you want to a very specific level. But there's no substitute for this.​
Recent?:
• What is your favorite kitchen implement?​
An induction stove – easy to use and to control.

And FWIW Consumer Reports rates the best induction cooktops 98, and the best gas cooktops 93. Induction performs better in tests; gas has better reliability and owner satisfaction.

I'm open to it, but my wife is insistent on gas right now.
So was mine, but a little bit of experience with it and noticing how easy it is to keep clean and she converted..

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: induction cooktops - it was one of the more expensive choices we made with our place, but also one of the best. We got a GE Café 36" (not made any more) and it's just fine. One of the really useful things is that you an link up two of the 'rings' to make a much larger and rectangular-shaped single cooking area.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
finally order the motorized sun shade from the shade store, got about 20 off, instillation in 2 weeks, guess we will see how it work out in the long run...

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a DUMB estimate to repipe our house with pex - 15K. I said I would make sure all was accessible (I don't want plumbers ripping up my vintage ceiling tiles and wood paneling), he said it would take probably 2 days. Even if they have 2 guys here that like 24 hrs labor max. The cost of the materials is negligible. Does he not think I can do the math?

I think I'm at the point where I'm just going to insist on paying hourly. It's such a tight market it's clear to me that bidding is not at all competitive. Also, TBH, I' don't really want to accept a lowball bid and have a guy lose money because he didn't understand the scope of the project or something like that - I'm not looking to rip anybody off.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could plumb my house in sanitary 316 stainless for that price :-D.

Why Pex as opposed to copper? Copper has a proven track record and doesn’t do things like rapidly degrade when exposed to sunlight.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a DUMB estimate to repipe our house with pex - 15K. I said I would make sure all was accessible (I don't want plumbers ripping up my vintage ceiling tiles and wood paneling), he said it would take probably 2 days. Even if they have 2 guys here that like 24 hrs labor max. The cost of the materials is negligible. Does he not think I can do the math?

I think I'm at the point where I'm just going to insist on paying hourly. It's such a tight market it's clear to me that bidding is not at all competitive. Also, TBH, I' don't really want to accept a lowball bid and have a guy lose money because he didn't understand the scope of the project or something like that - I'm not looking to rip anybody off.
Unless you have a problem with acidic water copper is the way to go.There's no way to know without seeing the scope of the job but 15k sounds way crazy for a typical house.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics