• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the various capital projects I’ve been involved in the experts always told the inevitable “green” person on my building committee heat pumps suck for uses in buildings like health care facilities as the rebound capacity is hours vs a few minutes. Basically a cold room takes forever to heat, etc. Think of lobbies etc.
Probably correct in those cases. From what I know here they don’t attempt to use heat pumps unless the building was designed to use them or already set up for such as system. Fwiw, these are two articles (in Dutch, can’t do the google translate for you as I’m on an iPhone on vacation ?) where hospitals successfully implemented heat pumps.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well in NY the governor is trying to eliminate natural gas so it is just a matter of time until all stoves are induction here.

my building specfi forbids electric/induction cooktops. I believe it’s because the electrics can’t support the amps.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boils a pot of water like nobody's business and keeps you kitchen cool.

Obviously better than standard electric... But mixed against gas. Can cook every bit as well as gas (adjustment, intensity, consistency, etc.) But lacks the visual feedback and ability to char things.
It's not just visual feedback. Most induction cooktops use a duty cycle to achieve lower power, i.e. they pulse on and off. It's not the same thing as a constant low flame.

(I'm probably not a good enough cook that it makes a difference.)

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never understood heating with electricity instead of gas. On one hand you light a gas flame and heat your water. On the other you pipe gas to a powerplant, heat water to steam, pipe the steam to a turbine to spin a generator that makes electricity, transmit that electricity through a huge network of transmission lines to your house so you can push a button to heat your water.
A natural gas furnace is usually about 80% efficient, but a heat pump can be 300% efficient (or more). Heat pumps are better even when natural gas is used to generate the electricity (and taking into account the transmission losses, etc.).

The big downside of heat pumps is that their efficiency goes down when it gets really cold, but that's not really an issue for California.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject, with such a cool (no pun) and unique way to generate conditioned air, “heat pump” was the best name they could come up with? Sounds like something on a 1930s Cadillac.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some notable high end restaurants have gone induction in recent remodels... If they can cook with it, so can you.

It's not just visual feedback. Most induction cooktops use a duty cycle to achieve lower power, i.e. they pulse on and off. It's not the same thing as a constant low flame.

Electric cooktops do , but I thought most good electric induction ranges could do a perfect simmer. I would certainly never buy one that pulsed.
Not to mention the instantly cool surface when you remove a pot so people like kids dont burn themselves (and unlike an electric range)

Ugh, that gets so annoying on a busy range. With 2 pots, you always have somewhere cool you can set a pan. Past that, you either have to start setting pans elsewhere, or try to guess when a burner has been off long enough that it won't overcook what you set on it.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heat pump---that's what it is. It's also called air conditioning and refrigeration. Do you have a better name in mind?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They operate at frequencies of a couple kHz, so it seems like they could pretty easily alter the duty cycle at timescales that would be far more rapid than anything that would matter for cooking. Is anybody doing cooking actions that take less than a millisecond?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat pump---that's what it is. It's also called air conditioning and refrigeration. Do you have a better name in mind?

Joule-Thomson effect??

brokencycle

Reaction score
I don't think mine pulses, but my wife reported that she made pasta in about 7 minutes today. The water was boiling in about 30 seconds, and it actually boiled over, so she just picked up the pot, wiped of the stove top and put the pot back down.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have any of you used rubberized vinyl tiles in your garage/workshop? I’ve been planing to get rid of the carpet from my wood shop (long overdue) and replace it with those tiles but curious to see some real world reviews.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just renovated his workshop/workout room (he's a powerlifter) and swears by the rubber mats they use for horse stalls in stables. Says it's by far the cheapest and toughest option. Downside is they're HEAVY so transporting and installing is hard work.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A natural gas furnace is usually about 80% efficient, but a heat pump can be 300% efficient (or more). Heat pumps are better even when natural gas is used to generate the electricity (and taking into account the transmission losses, etc.).

The big downside of heat pumps is that their efficiency goes down when it gets really cold, but that's not really an issue for California.
Yes, also ground source heat pumps (geothermal) are great if you're in the right location.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
FWIW, when I and some Sty-Fo IC notables were given a tour of the kitchen at Robuchon’s The Manson in Vegas back in ‘11 they were already using induction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads