• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

If $400-$600 is in your range, CB2 has some stuff that has that relatively modern Scandinavian look.

Perfect. Thank you.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're both echoing the competing thoughts in my head. We are still under the time period for the inspection contingency in our contract, so we're not "stuck" yet by any means. I am not totally surprised by the reaction, nobody wants to get bad news. Like I said, if the roof really is as bad as the inspector seemed to think, they are going to limit themselves to cash buyers if they really refuse to do anything about it, and frankly, this is not the type of neighborhood I would expect a lot of cash buyers to be looking.

Thanks for all the advice and well-wishes, fellas. I'll keep you posted!

Update:

We're splitting the cost of a new roof and selected a bid today. Hopefully closing won't be delayed.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Sounds like a fair compromise. Good luck!

It's been two years in the making but today is demo day for our kitchen & bathroom project...wish us luck!

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a fair compromise. Good luck!

It's been two years in the making but today is demo day for our kitchen & bathroom project...wish us luck!

Yeah, I figured that we weren't expecting a brand new roof when we bought the place, so it's fair to split the cost. We're just going to increase our offer by half the price of the new roof, which will effect he monthly payment by a small amount, but worth it, IMO to not have to worry about the roof at all for a decade or two. Plus with the new roof they are installing an external gutter system (rather than the old-built in style) which should handle all the Seattle rain much better and be much easier to clean and maintain.

I will be really glad when this thing closes though, the seller is cumbersome to deal with, being a committee and all. The point person with the church keeps bristling about how they don't want to delay closing, yet will not answer the phone, or return calls or emails. :confused:

Last edited:

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update:

Cons - still haven't gotten a signed around roofing contact done. I took the newest draft over to the seller to approve, and she wanted it sent back to make a change so they could save . . . $70. I can't make this stuff up. We're getting closer and closer to closing and we need to amend our P&S ASAP, and she raised an issue over $70. 350k house, 15k roof. But $70 is enough of an issue to warrant a re-draft? SMH.

Pros - Looks like the property taxes are going to be $1200 less than what I budgeted for, and the homeowners insurance is going to be like $750 less than I budgeted for. ALSO got the appraisal back and it came back 30K higher than our contract price.:slayer: maybe that means that our PMI premium will be reduced as our LTV just got a lot better. Even if not, its still nice to hear!

Ironically, all the good news makes me more livid with the bad news - I really don't want to lose this deal.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just give her $70

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I could have just put the cash in my wallet on her desk I would have. Would have been pretty offensive to her though.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well I don't know the details of the change, but you couldn't just saying something like "Hey, I don't mind covering the difference. I'll just take care of it"?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I don't know the details of the change, but you couldn't just saying something like "Hey, I don't mind covering the difference. I'll just take care of it"?

No, because the roofer is being paid out of the sale proceeds at escrow. Our P&S contract has an addendum about the roofing contract stating that we will increase our purchase price to reflect half the cost of the roofing. Furthermore, the seller is a corporate entity (a church) so all the numbers from thier minutes need to match up with whats coming in/going out. So for those reasons I couldn't really just hand her cash and be done with it. Not to mention it would be rude to point out her myopia, and I'm going to have an ongoing relationship with these people, though thankfully it will be to a lesser extent than it has been trying to iron out this deal.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey RL, good luck in the "home stretch". I'm sure you will all work it out. As frustrating as it is when working with a committee like a church they won't want the deal to fall apart either. Sounds like you are handling it well. Hope to hear good news from you soon.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey RL, good luck in the "home stretch". I'm sure you will all work it out. As frustrating as it is when working with a committee like a church they won't want the deal to fall apart either. Sounds like you are handling it well. Hope to hear good news from you soon.

Thanks, I have been trying to tell myself the same thing, but it's nice to hear that coming from a more objective source.

Last edited:

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still hopefully closing on Monday . . .

Made my first homeowner purchases over the weekend - house numbers! Also needed tools to install them so I decided to invest in a nice DeWalt 20v drill/driver and some drill bits/driver heads etc.

Went over to the house today to put up the house numbers - weird I know, because we haven't closed yet, but the seller asked me to so that the various tradespeople could find the house. Roofers showed up and started the tear-off!:slayer:

Also, REALLY weird as we haven't closed yet, but the seller gave me a set of keys. So things are looking good! Loan officer called to tell me that rates are down a bit so we moved from 4.625 to 4.5, which is nice.

Looks like our Landlord is pretty on top of getting a new tenant lined up for the middle of october, which is great. I was counting on losing our 1250 deposit and paying the full month of october in rent, but instead we will just pay a 750 fee to break the lease, then get most of our deposit back, and hopefully get refunded for half a month's rent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads