• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My garage is about 650 square feet and was lit by exactly two A-type light bulbs in enclosed fixtures. With so-called 100W equivalent CFLs that was about 3000 lumens of light. So I got some of the new T5 "high output" fluorescent fixtures and some T8s, all in the 8' strip format (two sets of 4' bulbs end-on-end), arranged in a "U" shape favoring the back of the (extra deep) garage. The idea is that it lights up around the cars rather than directly over them. The T5 HO bulbs are as wide as your pinkie and put out 5000 lumens each. Four fixtures and a total of more than 60,000 lumens--more than 20x as bright as the old setup. I might turn the "U" into a sideways "E" by adding another fixture in the middle. Will have to see how this setup works.

The only downside to the T5HO fixtures is that they were too narrow to cover the boxes from the old lights, so I had to do some drywall work on the ceiling.

Last edited:

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
Filed my assessment appeal last week. Now, I wait to see what the assessors say. Hopefully, they see where I'm coming from and don't have to go to Board of Equalization. I didn't need any comps. In my county (live in GA), when one files for homestead, one's assessment shouldn't go higher than the sales price due to a GA state law and a county tax freeze. I just supplied my HUD.

Last edited:

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, we're noticing that the grout in the marble foyer is cracking so I think we're going to replace this sooner than I hoped (secretly I wanted to replace it soon because it's so ugly) As you can see here it is a weird semi-honed marble with a silly honed border. I'm thinking more honed marble or maybe travertine or even granite but certainly something that can handle lots of traffic and occasional wet feet. Here is the space, it has lots of light from the windows on both sides. Ignore the wallpaper, that is a future project, also picture darker treads. Please give suggestions.

It's the area behind the glass in the middle

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Texas Jack, what about a hardwood floor to match your stairs? It would tie everything together and make the space feel larger.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Leave it until you're ready to do the whole downstairs with hardwood. I actually kind of like it.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had our inspection tonight - the roof may be shot. Fu.

Hopefully getting some roofers out tomorrow to get some expert opinions on it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Had our inspection tonight - the roof may be shot. Fu.

Hopefully getting some roofers out tomorrow to get some expert opinions on it.

Hopefully the seller will step up and cover it knowing that it will be an issue with any buyer. Good luck for a quick resolution.

brokencycle

Reaction score
We had a hailstorm up here. It didn't look like it did much damage to my untrained eyes from the ground. There were some twisted shingles, but I called the insurance company to come check just to be safe. The guy told me the roof was totally shot on one side, and he recommended a complete replacement.

We have cedar shakes for siding, and we were getting bids on repainting/replacing a couple rotting shakes, as well as redoing the house with Hardiboard. The insurance guy told me to just repaint - that it looks good and he recommended the insurance company pay for the repainting as well. He said even though it looked like it was peeling from age there were a few spots where hail had probably caused some chipping/peeling.

We'll see what their final decision is....

Also, concrete is ******* expensive. The driveway needs redoing - it is cracked asphalt, and I'm getting quotes from $10-15k for about a 80' driveway (2/3 is 8' wide and the other 1/3 is about 40' wide).

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hopefully the seller will step up and cover it knowing that it will be an issue with any buyer. Good luck for a quick resolution.

Thanks! I'm a bit nervous though, because when we brought it up to them, they were very defensive about it - hence getting some 2nd opinions. Also, I know the owners (a church) aren't in a position to spend much if any more out of pocket on the house. Hoping that the inspector was wrong, or at least I can get the sellers to agree to some kind of an escrow "hold back" on the sale proceeds to pay for it.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Had a big wind storm and now one of the trees that was slightly leaning towards my house is leaning a lot towards my house. Not laying any weight on it, but the branches are pushing up against the window and roof. Not sure how to handle it. Will need to assess in the daylight.

Also need to straighten out my irrigation. I can't get into the control box, but it's way over watering. Some **** is dying, some **** won't quit growing. My whole yard is a mess. Also think the people I paid to trim back one of my trees took off a bit too much since it sprouted tons of branches from the spot of heaviest pruning, which I read is a reactionary response by the tree when it loses too much foliage. Uggg...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads