The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

some exterior/yard shots of the new place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^ I like it. Great shade, but come autumn you'll be sorely tempted to cut down every last tree that's shading your pool, plus every tree within 50 yards of the pool. And your neighbors' trees, too.

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i skim like 3 hrs a week at least. shade makes it nice and private, whole area is heavily wooded. have 6 japanese maples, 8 rose bushes, wisteria everywhere

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

very, very, very jealous.

5. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

you're right, i was over simplifying

large pool of labour and a huge competitive market for materials is probably the biggest factor. still, you do see a lot more cheap materials used in housing in North America than a lot of other places.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

And don't forget about the large stock of illegal immigrants who will work for next to nothing erecting those houses.. :satisfied:

7. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Lets not forget that we have an abundance of land. Most European cities have higher population densities than similarly populous US cities. Of course home ownership will be more expensive in Utrecht than it is in Pittsburgh.

8. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Manor is some good stuff. Yes, it comes in a 2 oz bottle-- but how much does it take to mix it up, you ask?

1/4 ounce--

Per acre.

Can't imagine why they don't carry it at home depot. Hah!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

9. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Here's a fun DIY: replace your old T12 fluorescents with the newer T8--smaller, brighter bulbs that use less juice. The new electronic ballasts come on instantly and they don't hum or flicker, either. Even though the T8 bulbs fit in old fixtures, you can't just drop the new bulbs in -- you need to replace the old ballast.

Home Depot carries a 4-light T8 ballast (which replaces two T12 ballasts in a four-light fixture). Only $20 and pretty easy to install into old fixtures. Just grab some wire nuts and you're good to go.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I am taking great pleasure just occupying the new abode. I sip a dram of Pappy just staring out at the view and feel contentment. I think once I get my backyard paradise done in a few years I'll never want to leave the house.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Doing some gardening soon! Most of my home improvement involves buying furniture or antiques for the place. Waiting patiently for my lc3 to arrive from cassina. This mark's the beginning stages of the 'man cave'. My fiancé' has threatened to buy me a zebra rug...real zebra.

I hear you Pio, this is the fortress of solitude.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

12. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Houses here are mostly wood frame construction, with the various veneers I mentioned before. There are (very few) poured-concrete construction homes at the high end.

A couple of years ago, just north of here in Milton, there was a "house factory" operated by Mattamy Homes (I think the subsidiary was called Stelumar) -- materials would be deposited at one end, and whole homes would be wheeled out the other and trucked onto poured concreted basements in the nearby subdivisions as they were built. The thing was like a massive hangar, and seeing a house emerge from one end early in the morning was kind of bizarre. :wow:

Very nice, kunk, but as Thomas said, you will be murderous come fall ... :laugh:

13. eg1

eg1 Senior member

New liner went in yesterday ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

That just makes me incredibly nervous about when it comes time to have our pool resurfaced. We may switch it back from salt water back to regular chlorination, at the same time.

15. schrag

schrag Well-Known Member

Just chiming in to say the Wife and I have been pre-approved and have begun the hunt this week. Now to find the best compromise between structure, lot and location.

While I'm ready to step up space-wise from our 750 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment, I'm anticipating how the extra costs (all utilities, taxes, maintenance) will affect the cash flow. Guess I'll update when we make the purchase - could be this week or in 4 months, who knows :nodding: