1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It depends on where you want it and whether you can piggyback it on another nearby circuit.

If you put it right below a light switch, and can share the circuit with the lights, uh, someone you hire off the street could do it in 20 minutes and for about $5 in materials.

As you long as you have an attic above, though, you can put one anywhere, and it's pretty straightforward. I don't know how much an electrician would charge. Figure a hundred bucks an outlet? Maybe more.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I didn't actually watch the video, but that looks about right.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

I'll join this party. Closed this summer in Uptown, Dallas.

3 story townhome with single car garage. 2 bedroom 2.5 bath. Crazy how far $200/sq ft will go in Texas. I'm in a prime location walking to my office, bars, restaurants, American Airlines Center, etc.

Mostly move-in ready, but I could go to Home Depot every week if I wanted to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Do you want advice? Careful.

lefty

3 people like this.
  5. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Well, Im already in. Voted into HOA so that may help (or hinder)

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Congratulations. Welcome to home ownership.

I would consider ripping out the fanlights.
    Ripping out the crown moulding and cleaning it up.
    Ripping out the baseboards and putting in a larger square baseboard.
    Ripping out the carpet and replace with a darker more interesting carpet.
    Replace the kitchen ceiling light with recessed lighting.
    Replace the stair railing with glass.
    Repaint everything white.

Welcome to home ownership.

lefty

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

My in-laws have a place in uptown as well. Nice area. Before you make any big changes, do research. Projects aren't always simple and redoing a pain in the ass project is not fun.

8. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

9. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

When I bought my house in 2009 I converted pretty much every lightbulb I could find into the CFL type so I'm not really all that concerned. We've known this was coming for 6 years so I don't really think it's a big deal to anyone. I thought most people had switched over anyways.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Obviously it's not a big deal if you prefer ugly, non-dimmable, slow-to-light white spiral tubes over real light bulbs.

But this January, when the last real light bulbs are banned, just think of all that electricity that's being saved from conversion into worthless heat!

11. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

The only incandescent bulb left in my house is our porch light, which is tied into a 7-day programmable switch. I bought it and installed it before reading the fine print: "Works with incandescent and halogen lighting (40-Watt minimum)." Been putting off replacing it; the thing goes through light bulbs every three or four months.

If I put in a regular switch and just left it on all the time with a CFL bulb, it'd use less juice and go through bulbs less frequently than it does for the 10 hours a day it's programmed to run.

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

You do realize the new bulbs on the market alleviate these concerns, right? Particularly the LEDs (but even the CFLs are leagues beyond what they were several years ago).

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Except that they don't. There is no replacement for incandescent bulbs that actually matches them in color rendering, color temperature, aesthetics, dimming, instant-on, etc., and overall brightness. Some replacements are better than others but none approach being a replacement.

LEDs are unattractive, they have poor color rendering ability, most have poor color temperature, many have a half-second or more delay in turning on, and none dim as well as an incandescent bulb. LEDs also can't match the brightness of a 75 or 100-watt light bulb in the standard size.

CFLs are unattractive, they have poor color rendering ability, poor color temperature, take a minute or more to reach full brightness, and even the handful that are advertised as dimmable don't dim worth a damn.

[​IMG]

Want one of those in a fixture that leaves a bulb exposed?

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

15. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

If CFL's had come first, you'd be whining the same.

16. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

I'm all over CFL's for the energy savings and candidly, I LOVE being able significantly uprate my fixtures by using 75/100w equivalents in my 60w max fixtures. Also, in the summer, the lack of heat is very nice. I've got no gripes with the color temp, and we've been switchign things over to the 3500K bulbs (bright white (not the nasty daylight ones).

However, I FCKING hate these things in the winter. If our house drops below 90 degrees, certain bulbs, take forever to warm up. For some reason its my spots in the basement that seem to give me the worst fits. Everything else is reasonable. Now, having said that, let me introduce you to a CFL bulb in michigan in the winter. It wont light sometimes because its too cold, despite having a -20 degree rating. so, our outdoor lighting is pretty much useless this time of year unless we let it warm up first (like a car). I'd switch back to incadescents but I'm running 120/150 watt equivalent units and incadescents would CATCH ON FIRE if I did that.

I recently looked into LED's, and decided that they are not even close to the price per equivalent watt level to make switching over reasonable. They also dont easily come in brightnesses beyond standard 40/60/75/100.

So I'm out. I just wish they could figure out how to ballast the CFL's to light in the cold temps. My tube floresencents in my workshop can and will light to subzero temps with no problem (unheated garage). I understand the electrochemical reaction that occurs when the ballast energizes the bulb and why cold weather is bad, but i've got to imagine there is a better way.

17. E TF

E TF Senior member

I was just going to suggest those. They're my favourite of the legal bulbs. I use these and LEDs in places where the colour is less important (hallways, the cellar, the garage etc). Here in the UK you can still get hold of "rough service" incandescents if you look in the right places.

Some LEDs look almost like real bulbs -

[​IMG]

But i find most houses are really overlit anyway. A lot of people/house builders seem to think you have to be able to perform surgery in any given room. Take the room posted by rohde88 above - 10 bulbs in the ceiling in an ordinary sized room - and that's before you've put any lamps etc in (i'd redo that rohde88!). Vast majority of bulbs in my house are 25 or 40W (or equivalents), a handful of 60W, no 100Ws at all.

18. otc

otc Senior member

[​IMG]
    I don't think it is fair to call these guys out on having a poor color temperature. That is pretty much down to personal preference. The soft white bulbs come in at 3000K and the "naturals" are 4100K.

3000K vs 2700K is a pretty marginal difference that your eyes will get over. You could tell if you mixed bulbs in the same lamp, but otherwise it's not a big deal.

They will have better color rendition than a CFL, which is really the bigger issue with alternative bulb types...

19. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah, everybody (Ataturk) was all incensed about the 100W thing. Who the eff even uses 100W bulbs? I have one in a clamp-on work light, and that is it.

60W bulbs (or 75W equivalents since they rarely tend to be truly equivalent) and some focused task lighting leave you with a much nicer aesthetic. The whole house doesn't have to be bathed in light all night like the sun is still shining.

20. E TF

E TF Senior member

I concur with all this apart from the stair railing. If you did that I 'd replace all the georgian-style doors with modern ones too.