The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Part of my failure here is not understanding the difference between satin and matte.

2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

what is con-trad?

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

You haven't seen the thread I started to educate on the subject?

4. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Oh. I guess I have now. Don't really feel like reading past page 1; I'm probably a pariah. Not sure my ego could take it.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Kind of soft low gloss. Less shiny than semi-gloss.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Satin has a sheen, matte does not. Satin looks as if you took a gloss finish and polished it with a pumice to bring down the shine.

What looks good certainly depends on the context, IMO. Most people dislike gloss because gloss flooring finishes just attempt to mimic highly polished shellac finishes of long ago. Think; polyurethane.

I'm sure that a highly polished finish looked fanatastic in Louis xiv's huntIng lodge, but it looks awful in McFlooring. This applies to most things however, parquet sold in sheets looks fake and cheap, but a herringbone pattern floor created by a skilled carpenter can look amazing if done in a room that calls for it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Earnest question, why does this lamp cost so much? It looks cool, but I still don't understand.

8. otc

otc Senior member

I'll just throw it out there that I had apartment floors replaced a few years ago. I had no say in the matter since it was a rental and I ended up with unstained oak and a gloss finish.

I hate them. It is nice to have a new floor with no squeaks (a rarity in a hundred year old rental), but the gloss polyurethane looks terrible...cheap laminate would be better.

I suspect it was kind of a cut-rate installer and the gloss really shows off the guys mistakes.

Finally, anywhere with furniture started to show scuffs and scrapes really quickly. Some if this is probably due to the nature of a poly finish (especially one that was applied too thick), but the area around my dining table wouldn't look so bad if the rest of the floor wasn't glossy.

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The bulb is an auto headlamp, the rod is just a simple metal rod. There doesn't seem to be any special components here. I suppose you could make something similar for under $100. It comes down to buying an idea, it's execution and function. It really perks up a room on a winters night or before sunrise. I love it.

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Thanks. I wasn't trying to be rude, just genuinely curious. I guess the same question could be applied to a lot of the clothes on this forum, and the answer wouldnt be all that dissimilar It's a cool lamp for sure. Maybe I'll look into a diy version at some point.

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

So I am trying to figure out how to vent these knee wall attics. I tried to insert baffles to the attic above, but I couldn't get them in without them collapsing. I don't want to pull the insulation out; the sloped ceiling is already the hottest part.

I've got no vents on the side and can't put them there. I also don't want to put vents in the roof because of how ugly they would be since they'd be visible from the front.

The only thing I have going for me is the long soffits. I was thinking about putting a 4" duct pipe in, with the open end up at the top of the knee wall, an inline fan and a vent through the soffit. I could get a 100 CFM fan pretty cheap.

Any thoughts on whether that would work? It'd have to fight the natural tendency of hot air to rise and if the air isn't exhausted well it could just get sucked back in through the soffit.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  12. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Animals.

13. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Installing water heating into 140 years old apartment and it requires ornate/period radiators. MF radiators only made in China nowadays and they still cost almost $700 a piece. Castards.com

14. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

When I buy a home I'd like the This Old House crew to renovate.

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hmmm... there are options below $700

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]