• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the locksets and hardware by The Nanz Company?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have Modernica fiberglass chairs. The fiberglass is nice, but the quality of the finishing and other parts is notably lacking compared to the Knoll versions,

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, rather than get a generic MCM-inspired table, why not get a genuine piece for less?

Eames plywood coffee table, made by Herman Miller, for $950:

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that's a coffee table - need a casual dining table large enough to seat 4.

we saw the herman miller eames plastic chairs today and just were not happy with them. hopefully the fiberglass works out well. too bad on the finishing, particularly considering we have two small children who will be beating on them.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good lord, furniture is expensive. We spent the last 3 days looking for a sectional for the family room and I'll be damned if even the low grade stuff is minimum $2k. And no, I'm not considering Ashley or anything like that, that's not even an option. On the upside, craigslist in the Chicagoland area is chock full of Thomasville dining room sets and bedroom sets. Unfortunately I don't need those.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there anything that's marked up more than new furniture? You've got the right idea with Craigslist. Be patient.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been on a security kick, my original door lock finally jammed up and stopped working, replaced the handle set with a commercial grade set. In the process I became aware of how half assed the original install was. One would think that the builder would know to clear out the wood in the way of letting the bolt fully engage behind the steel frame.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been on a security kick, my original door lock finally jammed up and stopped working, replaced the handle set with a commercial grade set.

Any recs? Seems like it's harder to insert the key into our three-year-old deadbolt with each passing day. I'll squirt some graphite in there, but we might replace the locks sooner rather than later.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a lockset not a deadbolt, so it may not directly apply, but I bought a commericial grade set from Falcon. Seems like a solid unit hopefully it never gets tested.

From the info i have gathered; A good deadbolt is important but just as much so it is important to make sure the door frame is strong and the entire assembly can survive someone attempting to kick the door in. From everything I read, that is one of the easy steps a thief will take to get into your house, since it is quicker than a lock pick and probably still quieter than breaking a window.

If you look at European entry doors, they engage in 3 spots and have a strike plate that is nearly the full length of the door frame.

I asked about the nanz company earlier for a different application, I would like to build a door with a full mortise lock for another spot.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Does it have any security mechanism in addition to the pins? I like Medeco, but expensive, will be going on my house though :nodding:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the bad guys want in, they're going to get in. It'd be better to invest in a security system.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads