1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

lol, when i saw ataturk had a post in this thread on the main subscriptions page, I thought "I bet he's telling someone to fix it himself."

2 people like this.
  2. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Those things are about as hard to replace as a light bulb. Home warranties usually have high copays, deductibles, whatever you want to call them, anyway. He's probably paying a hundred bucks to the insurance company, plus $500 to the plumber for bullshit, to replace a $100 part he could have done himself in an hour. So, yeah.

3. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

4. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I do recommend selecting health insurance with a decent emergency room copay...

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

One of my first big home projects had a credit card bill that read:

Home Depot
    Home Depot
    Al's Plumbing
    Westbrooke Emergency Room
    Home Depot

Had a GC over and he agreed that it looks like faulty caulking. We found some movement in one tile. And now looking at removing glass door and wall, removing two runs of glass tiles (hoping like hell I can reuse some of them as I have only five in reserve and they don't make these any longer), and redoing all the caulking.

Estimate to come tomorrow. Best guesses on price? I'm thinking $1200.

lefty

6. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Deductible is $75. He's charging the insurance company $500 for the pump and $300 for the labor and pipe. I don't have a torch so I can't really repipe the thing which is necessary since it's all corroded. Plus it's hard wired so I definitely ain't messing with that. My $500 is strictly for the code bullshit.

7. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

HEADACHES
    I have a positive story. My new little house was spared a lot of expense by the builder. This past rain season killed my porch roofing and water came into the house.
    The adjuster decided we needed a new carpet (potty training a 2 yr old is no joke) and issued us enough money for the fix, paint and a new laminate floor.

8. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Honestly I don't know how much the pumps cost before the plumber marks them up, but the torch would be about $15 and hardwired power is really nothing, like changing a light fixture. There's just two wires and a ground, and with the power off they can't hurt you. Hell, you could easily do it with the power on, just use insulated tools and cap the wires with wire nuts as you take them off. I'm not saying you should do it that way, but if you know what you're doing it's not really dangerous. It's not that much to learn and once you know it you're set for life. A good investment if you're young...

9. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

^ +1. Also, youtube is a boon in this regard. I might not trust any particular video telling me how to install a light fixture, but I am confident that if I draw from many sources I can get a good idea of what I should be doing. For instance, when we put our kitchen in downstairs (already roughed in), I'm planning on plumbing the sink/dishwasher.

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Apparently Uncle Sam tightened the restrictions on dishwashers' electricity and water usages again, and the new standard is being implemented now. So if you plan to replace your dishwasher and want one that's designed to get dishes clean instead of rationing electricity and water as if everyone lived in a desert with a third-world power grid (i.e., California), get it now. This time of year is when they clear out the old models, IIRC.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

We purchased a new dishwasher this Spring. An energy efficient Bosch. It works like a charm cleaning dishes and best of all it is super quiet. If you have a 10 y/o dishwasher, you will be amazed at how much better they are today.

12. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I rarely am in the kitchen when the dishwasher is running, but last night I was and trying to have a conversation. I pulled out a decibel meter, and it was around 65-70 dB. Makes me want to go out and buy a new one, but it isn't that old and works fine otherwise.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Most newer DW's are around 40dB - Our Kitchenaid is and I suspect PSGuy's Bosch is too. We typically run ours overnight so that helps.

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. otc

otc Senior member

[​IMG]
    Sometimes its good to be able to fix a few things yourself.

1 person likes this.
  16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

shit fuck there's an opossum in my roof. there's a little crevice among the eaves, and i came home from a business trip this morning and something made walk around the property just to check everything out.

i look up and the little mother fucker's nose is poking out of the crevice :fu:

17. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Sucks, I had squirrels last year. One of the many disadvantages of living in what was previously a forrest. If you are in central NJ/PA i'll refer you to the exterminator i used, he's very good.

18. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

All you have to do is seal up the attic at night when it's out foraging. Block the hole off with some hardware cloth (wire mesh). Hopefully it doesn't have a nest full of babies, but if it does you should be able to find it by following the trail of shredded insulation and shit.

Or you could pay somebody, I guess.

My folks had an outdoor floodlight that was shorting out a few years back. Farthest corner of the attack from the entrance. I went up there, crawled way into the corner on my stomach to fix it. About halfway through I looked over to the other side and I was nose to nose with a dessicated squirrel skull. It'd chewed the wire, presumably to make a better path to get into the attic through a hole he'd eaten behind the light.

I knew a guy in high school who delighted in running them over. At the time, I thought he was an asshole -- and he was, but I understand why he did it now.

19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I'm in Florida. Called pest control - he got the guy caged and says he'll let him loose in the Everglades.

I wasn't gonna DIY this one. Possums are fucking nasty when cornered and they are full of diseases. Plus I'm not wrestling any critter out of its hole on a 26-foot high sloped roof.

I am going to screen off the crevice tomorrow though

20. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

just installed a nest thermostat