• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My house is a hair under 3000sf. 1 kitchen, 2.5 baths, 1 laundry, 2 hosebibs. That's it. I believe I was wearing sweats when he came, as I had the day off for a rare snow day!

I'm cool with PEX - its useful in a situation like mine where you might want to bend or flex it in a few spots to minimize the disturbance to the existing period materials. Plus it's cheaper which is nice of course!

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My house is a hair under 3000sf. 1 kitchen, 2.5 baths, 1 laundry, 2 hosebibs. That's it. I believe I was wearing sweats when he came, as I had the day off for a rare snow day!

I'm cool with PEX - its useful in a situation like mine where you might want to bend or flex it in a few spots to minimize the disturbance to the existing period materials. Plus it's cheaper which is nice of course!
Where do your servants live then?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can’t you do copper and PEX for those hard to reach areas? I think my dad did something like that when he replaced everything at my parents home.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might ask about doing that, actually there are a few places where using copper would actually be less invasive because you only have to support it every 5 feet vs every 2 with pex, so if you're running in a joist bay it would be helpful there!

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Over the sink dish racks anyone? Give me some recs pls

Thinking about something like this but parents saying its too obtrusive. My purpose is not to store but air dry before wiping down and put in cupboards. FWIW I have plenty of counter space on both side and storage.

Ideally, I want nothing on my counters or sink at end of night.

40882089_16_5.jpg

Something like this device

vdubiv

Reaction score

Thinking about something like this but parents saying its too obtrusive. My purpose is not to store but air dry before wiping down and put in cupboards. FWIW I have plenty of counter space on both side and storage.

Ideally, I want nothing on my counters or sink at end of night.

Something like this device
View attachment 1323420
I'm with you on nothing in the sink or on the countertops at the end of the night, but that thing looks to gaudy and intrusive. I see the space where you are going to put it, but aesthetically wise, it looks counter intuitive to your reasoning for wanting it in the first place.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I get something in black it may match the rest of the appliances in the kitchen. I don’t know may just get a cheapo dish rack and tray. I grew up in a household that never used the dish washer so that’s just extra storage to me.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up in a blended family and for a while there were 5 of us kids plus mom and (then) stepfather - we also didn't have a dishwasher. It was a Sisyphean task. When we finally remodeled the kitchen and got a dishwasher, I remember just sitting in the kitchen and staring at it while it worked for a couple nights, enamored.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My rec is to delete your post, pretend you never mentioned this contraption, and get over any hang-ups about using a dishwasher. They are magical machines and probably make for shitty storage.

If you want low profile and easily storable for that nothing-on-your-counter aesthetic, silicone and/or microfiber drying mats can be sufficient for handling hand-washed items for those of us who avail ourselves of dishwashers.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.