1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Oh, yeah. That picture is of the bearing after I removed the seal that sits over it. (You can see the ring of grease from where it landed when it popped off). I put a brand new seal in. It may have been leaking, but if it was it wasn't much. The thing was full of rust, sure, but there was no evidence water having made it to the rear bearing or into the frame of the washer.

As for the bearings, I installed them the shade tree way--by freezing the new ones, putting the old bearings on top and pounding them in with a hammer. I was really careful not to pound on the center of the bearings (I know that much, at least). It was probably not ideal, but it's worked for me in the past. The new bearings I got were sealed; whether that makes any difference I don't know.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

2. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I tried that on my very first piece. It helped keep the new look for about a year. I then just let it go to gray. You can spend a lot of time and money keeping them looking somewhat new with a number of different oils, chemical that reduce mold/gray and covers. Or, you can just let them sit outside and enjoy them with a natural wood look. It really depends upon what you want. But if you don't like the gray wood look I would consider getting something constructed with man made materials so that you don't have the maintenance issues.

Most of my teak I purchased in '98 and it still looks great. Shop around and see if you can find an independent importer first vs a major chain like Pottery Barn for the best price. However, if you are patient, you can often get amazing deals at the very end of the season, such as half off. The mass retailers (Target, Home Depot) often sell inexpensive but much lighter weight furniture.

If you enjoy projects, there used to be one company that offered pre-cut kits that you assemble at a good price.

If you really like the look of teak furniture, buy the heavier pieces. Be sure and select a classic style so that it is easy to mix and match with furniture from other manufacturers. Avoid the odd/modern designs that are on sale. They will be hard to pair with anything else unless you purchase an entire collection.

One last thing, I bought heavy teak folding chairs with arms. (They are a popular style in France FWIW) It has been handy to be able to fold them and put them aside when extra room is needed. Solid teak chairs are pretty large.

3. Gus

This is the style I own. Be sure and get the ones with arms.

[​IMG]

4. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

I like teak, but you should also consider vintage wrought iron, which you can often find at flea markets for a modest price.

5. Gus

We had that when I was growing up. It seemed like every summer I was having to scrap it, spray it with Rustolium, etc. Plus it was heavy to move around. That experience and photos in Maison Francaise (one of my favorite home decor magazines for ideas) led me to classic teak.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

I marine varnished my outdoor table and i'm now on year 2 without too much of an issue. It's now starting to flake in a few areas, but I'm amazed so far that it has lasted without the need to be completely stripped and redone.

7. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Depends what you want it to look like.

If you want it to be a lush brown forever, then you had better keep oiling it. If you don't mind the gray (or prefer it), teak will do very well exposed to the elements. I've seen sailboats with unoiled teak parts that are 20 years old and still look great.

8. Gus

New kitchen cabinet refacings going up while the painters are finishing the ceilings and walls. New nickel hardware being installed. If all goes well, the kitchen should be back to normal by 4pm. Keeping fingers crossed.

9. Gus

We can use the kitchen tonight although it isn't complete.
    Painters - we will be done in two more days
    Cabinets- we will be done tomorrow
    Appliance Delivery -last pieces to be delivered Thursday
    Appliance install- Gas Range, Refrigerator, microwave Friday
    Floors- Final coat on hardwood floor Monday or Tuesday
    Move furniture- Wed, open champagne

Regarding refacing cabinets, I got quotes from two highly rated contractors that were almost half the price that Sears or Home Depot quotes. I also heard a few inconsistent stories about the subs used by HD and Sears. I recommend researching and going direct with a guy who actually does the work and needs to maintain his reputation.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

10. SUPER K

SUPER K Senior Member

Connie,

there are usually programs to help first timers. Money toward down payment, rates, etc

11. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

full stop.

this is why conne should go to Amsterdam.

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

No one told me this.

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

I left a min-max thermometer in one of my side attics. It recorded 125 degrees, and that's on the attic that faces north!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

14. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

You probably weren't enough of a small timer to qualify.

15. constant struggle

constant struggle Distinguished Member

about 22% at age 26 (northern NJ)