The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Also, something I'm considering: putting 5% down, using the extra cash to finish a basement etc, should improve the LTV sufficiently to drop the PMI.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I put down 5 on a conventional.

3. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Appliance purchases in general are a huge PITA. You make a decision, it's an expensive one, information is usually fairly limited, and then you live with it for a long time.

I have a top-loading HE washer, Whirlpool Cabrio, we have had a good time with it so far but I don't really have a point of comparison with front-loaders. I have heard of the odor issue and it sort of scared me off.

4. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I've literally never had the smell problem with my front loader, but then we've always known about leaving the door cracked open. I also habitually wipe the inside of the door and seal with a rag.

I've also heard using a full-on hot wash from time to time prevents gunk from building up in the drum. Mine was super clean when I took it apart. Here's a picture of the inside of the rear drum. You can see the rusted bearing that was causing the noise and a little bit of gunk in the deepest recesses of the drum.

[​IMG]

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

You might want to check into seeing if there are any sort of minimum time periods between initial appraisal and acquisition and new appraisal and revaluing for the sake of your mortgage. I would not be surprised if there's some exclusionary time period, probably 1-5 years, where you cannot reset your LTV.

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I think it's two years, but check on that before you make your plans.

7. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Scheduled to close on a place in a month - need an outdoor dining set. Thinking to go with a relatively simple teak set. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

8. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

I'm in bankview so I'm good here. Just really sad to see the destruction. I'm a teacher and some of my kids have been displaced, they don't have much and it's such a shame to see them get the few possessions that they have already destroyed.

9. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Thanks, fellas, will do.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've had teak outdoor furniture for years and love it. I had an inexpensive table I picked up at Cost Plus that lasted 15 years. It might have lasted a lot longer except it was damaged in a storm. I've also had heavier teak furniture from France and from a local guy who designs and imports it himself from SE Asia. We leave it outside year-round and never cover it. It turns gray fairly quickly. About once a year I take some fine sand paper and smooth out the seating areas and the table tops. There can be a slight amount of swelling and it prevents snags on loose knit fabrics.

11. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Turk, wondering how that bearing got so rusted. That would suggest a leak somewhere, would it not?

I'd keep an eye on the washer if I were you. Bearing retention in a concentricity-sensitive application is a difficult issue, and I bet its at least part of the reason the mfg was hesitant to do or warrant the repair. Trust me, bearings, bearing retention bores, concentricity, and bearing noise in long-term applications is something I do every. single. day.

12. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Did you oil it at all? I've read to oil once a year or so.

13. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

my thoughts exactly. Even in a high appreciative market, a lot of times banks will make you re-use the initial appraisal if its within a certain time frame. Friends bought a condo under value, cleaned it up, then had to sell for a job transfer. They were having problems selling it as everyone agreed based on the changes and the market it was worth a lot more than they paid, but the banks were sticking with their original appraisal and were making it hard to sell.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

My credit union offers no PMI regardless of down payment... so there's that...

15. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Hmmm, good to know! I'll start looking into CU for financing options . . .