1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Friend of mine had a self-propelled Honda push mower that stripped out in about three years. YMMV I guess. He sure was pissed, though.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Seller lied on the disclosure statement and didn't check the scorpion box. I'm averaging one in the house per month.

Also I hate owning a home and wish I had actually given it some thought before buying. Huge mistake, now I'm stuck for a while.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I dont know. Doors, windows, walls. They're crafty little fuckers and climb all through cracks they find. I had put out this dust stuff the past weekend so the one I found this morning was all shriveled up, so I assume he walked through it, which was at the door.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

That's the one downside to the southwest that I see. Scorpions, snakes, spiders, etc.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I wish I was allowed to own chickens :(

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Do they eat scorpions?

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

call a real exterminator if you hate them so much.

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

The house hate is unrelated to the scorpions.I'm not in a position in my life that I should have bought a house, but I gave it near zero thought before doing so. My mistake. These are just an annoyance.

Yup, and crickets, which are scorpion food.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you hate owning a house then consider selling it, even if it means somewhat of a loss. You will have a lot of out of pocket expenses just owning it much less maintaining it. The RE market has been on an increase nationwide but in a year or two when interest rates rise, then what will it be worth? How hard will it be to resell?

11. furo

furo Senior member

Scorpions aren't the worst thing (unless you have an infant). I had them in my house in TX and a guy came out and compressed dust into the walls for about $150 and they were all dead within a week or so. If you want it done right, hire someone who does it for a living. I battled them for almost a year before giving in.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

How do you make a decision to buy a house, if it is with a mortgage, without giving it some thought?

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

The "scorpion box"?

lefty

14. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

If you own the home, can't you decide for yourself?

15. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

I

I think some areas have ordinances against roosters. However, as long as you have hens (for eggs, I assume), you should be fine. This is the case where I am as my wife at one point thought about raising a few chickens for eggs.

16. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

No hens in my city.

17. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Deal closed today, title was recorded!:slayer:

Now I am teh poorz. Well, not quite yet, but we've got a lot of things on our shopping list in the next few weeks/months.

The roof is not quite done yet as the gutters are not installed. I called escrow and they are holding a portion of the proceeds to pay the roofer upon completion.

Making the big move on Saturday, but taking over fragile/weird stuff all week. In the process of getting new utilities set up/cancelling old ones. Hopefully getting a washer and dryer tonight.

Going to do a few things before we move in - shelf liners etc. Also ripping up the industrial/commercial carpet and vinyl flooring in parts of the house - oak underneath!

Seller is to install some new windows within 15 days of close, and put up a fence within 30 days of close.

7 people like this.
  18. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Hardly.

Most neighborhoods (not just those with associations) and cities have rules regarding everything from chickens to keeping bees to paint colors, fencing, solar power...
    No - owning your house seldom affords you the freedom you infer.

19. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

If it didn't work out with my current house, I would have considered buying in the county north of where I am, which is considered rural, and looked into a USDA loan. Nice option for avoiding PMI for those with less than 20% down, lower taxes, and fewer ordinances.

1 person likes this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The day I closed my balls were aching. Never felt so poor in my life.