• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand your comment, ataturk. Texas has some of the highest wholesale prices in the country in the summertime. Thousands of dollars a MWh at times. It has nothing to do with gouging, it is a market price of energy. That's just wholesale, the utility will also have a retail rate to charge you that reflects those high wholesale prices.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not the wholesale cost of electricity that makes it scarce or expensive in the third world. Do you have any evidence people in Texas are actually paying $0.30 per kwh?

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where are these places I can choose a vendor? Our rate is not based on time of day or season. Sad.

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking forward to whole house battery backup technology improving. Will run batteries during peak cost time and let them recharge at night and with solar.
I don't want solar for the money saving aspect. I want it due to the shitty power we have here that has random 1-2 second outages seemingly on a weekly basis.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not the wholesale cost of electricity that makes it scarce or expensive in the third world. Do you have any evidence people in Texas are actually paying $0.30 per kwh?
I don't understand bringing up the third world? I wasn't saying $0.30 has a definite number just offering one of the reasons his savings could be higher in the summer. Many utilities charge more in the summertime.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's just a friendly jab at my friends on the coasts who think electricity is expensive because electricity is expensive.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our lowest electricity bill is just over $50 US pcm in August, and the peak is around $150 US in the February. In the summer months we don't have any way of saving more because we're about down to the fixed charges. Unless and until we go entirely off-grid, we can't do anything about that. It wouldn't take much, though. There are people in the same community who pay $500+ US pcm and probably a lot more than that...

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
California has some of the lowest electrical bills in the country - much lower than Texas. Despite the fact that we pay higher rates, we tend to use much less electricity (3rd lowest in the country). But let’s be honest, if you are concerned about the cost of energy you can’t afford to live in California.

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of the California haters live here? Have any of them actually been here?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
California has some of the lowest electrical bills in the country - much lower than Texas. Despite the fact that we pay higher rates, we tend to use much less electricity (3rd lowest in the country). But let’s be honest, if you are concerned about the cost of energy you can’t afford to live in California.
There’s a direct negative correlation between rates and usage. Utility customers use less and rates have to go up to ensure the utility makes enough money to cover its costs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I actually met Johnson some years ago.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers