• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ yeah managing cure rate is a thing, i've seen some of the local driveway guys keep that stuff wet for what seems like 3 days as it sets

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The #1 reason concrete cracks is because it shrinks as it cures.
Image result for elaine it shrinks

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The mix is critical. On big pours they sample every batch for testing when it arrives on site .

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I’ve seen dozens of them in open houses over the years and I’d say close to 100% have had cracks.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Concrete technology has changed a lot . When I was a pup, on big jobs like powerhouse turbine floors, they would cover with 2inches of sand and keep it soaked down for a couple of months. Now they use prestressed cable and floating decks with light weight concrete that has fibers instead of sand.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My wife knows way more about this **** than any of us given she's a certified PE and mainly designed and PM'ed huge transportation projects. I would ask her to confirm but that would hardly be manly.

Can confirm 9 though as she's told me stories about her CM rejecting whole truck loads of cement.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to the inevitable. We had a tree next to the driveway that forked quite a ways up and one branch was over the driveway. Well it was now across the driveway and needed cut up but I did not have a chainsaw. Drove the Outback down our steep slope and ran to Lowe's for a chainsaw. Bought an electric 16" and came back to cut it up. This was my first time ever operating a chainsaw or in that case putting one together. Took about an hour to put it together then cut up the limb. The thickest parts were probably 18" maybe a little more.

Was actually pretty fun and I can see where clueless people would cut a limb without thinking about it and get knocked out due to the tension limbs can carry. A positive outcome is that I can use the logs as a barrier for another project I have been delaying.

My wife told her parents and my FIL said, "I left you my ax for just this reason!" I had a good laugh at that.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned about this stuff because if you've ever worked in an environment where a couple dozen guys are going at it with jackhammers all day long you gonna ask why the **** are they doin' that

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought some big scissor hedge trimmers once. They were very ******* sharp. After about 3 minutes of use I was like "**** this" and bought an electric hedge trimmer.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you've never seen Locke is an interesting concept drama about concrete, Tom Hardy stars.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you've never seen Locke is an interesting concept drama about concrete, Tom Hardy stars.
I have and I found it fascinating. He did a similar thing in Dunkirk.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you know, monthly maintenance just went up 13% and hit with a $5,000 assessment. Same time every year it seems.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i sometimes think we should have found a unit in a downtown building rather than a suburban lot, reading the above helps that a little

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads