The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I appreciate the offer, if you ever do end up in NJ we'll host you for dinner/drinks.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I definitely made it more difficult that it should have been... bought way too many samples. First time going through this, so it's a learning lesson for next time. I don't have furniture yet, so I was just working around the flooring/cabinets/counters/trim or whatever other permanent features are in the house.

The typical style in this region is just so boring, lots of beiges and browns. I ended up picking all my colors off Benjamin Moore's historical palette. Overall, I am really pleased with the results.

3. SkinnyGoomba

I'm curious, what style is the house?

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Southwest. Arizona. Exterior is still boring tan/brown like every other building in this state.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

5. SkinnyGoomba

That seems pretty common in the area, but for good reason. Southwestern homes are for the most part out of my realm, is it a craftsman home, mid-century or something current?

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

My current project is air sealing my attic.

I have a room over the garage with knee walls, meaning that it has attic above and attic on both sides. Like all these rooms it's not as well insulated as the rest of the house.

To give you an idea of how awful it is, there's two doors to the attic, about five feet by 20 inches, that are hollow and were not even weatherstripped. Then probably 25 outlets and switches and phone jacks and cable lines and the like--none of which were sealed.

And the space between the floor and the first-floor ceiling? You guessed it, open to the attic. The house has engineered floor joists -- meaning that there's not any kind of sealing between them. So the entire second-story floor (and all the unsealed wall cavities from the first floor) are open to the attic too. To seal this sucker off I had to remove the floor decking in the knee-wall attics, cut dozens of pieces of rigid foam and carefully position them at the spots in the engineered joists where they're solid vertically, then spray foam / caulk them into place for a seal (more or less).

I'm under no illusions about this completely sealing off the floor but it ought to help. So far I've done one side...

7. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Absolute deluge last night, found every hole in my house.

I have a lot of work to do in the coming years.

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Ha, look on the bright side, now you know where the holes are.

9. SkinnyGoomba

So, I had to turn to the Internet to find a worthwhile access panel. HD and lowes only carry these shitty plastic caulk in types. I found one with perf. Metal edges that you tape and mud in after installation and it shows only the break between the door and the wall, no protrusions, seems and one peice of hardware made for painting over.

This will help avoid the drywall knife next time I have to access the shut off :)

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Does anyone have an emergency generator for their home? I'm seriously considering doing a "whole house" or close to it next year. Seems like I'm looking at 10-12k for the generator, not sure how much for the switch, and install. Liquid cooled, probably between 30-40 kw.

11. SkinnyGoomba

I do, not to that scale though. I bought the biggest honda inverter (em5000) it runs the whole house without issue. I installed a transfer switch which requires manual operation. The inverter is super quiet, I bought it so as not to disturb the neighbors and I don't really like hearing them run.

Install was free, I paid about $300 for a good manual operated switch and heavy cables. Free because I did it myself.

Ironically my neighbor, about one month later, bought what seems like the loudest generator on the planet.

The built-ins are seamless if you do an automatic transferswitch and usually really reasonably quiet. If you have one that runs on nat gas or propane, just make sure you have a way to run it if they turn off the gas in your area. Seems ridiculously over-doing it, but the gas had to be turned off in some of the areas affected by sandy, which renders a whole-house unit to be useless.

The positive side of the portable ones are that you can use them for camping or construction. So, they have more appeal than just the boogey-man of natural disasters.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I live in an area where a huge natural disaster does not have to happen to have the power go out. We have strong seasonal t-storms, and while they're localized, they will not infrequently knock out a transformer that shuts power off in a swath of the city. Always happens during the summer too so I want my A/C and I want my wine cellar both to stay on.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Almost my whole block has individual generator setups. This was because we were hit with a bunch of hurricanes in 2004 and were left without power for weeks at a time.

Of course, after that huge expense for each homeowner, we haven't lost power since. But it's good peace of mind

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My father has one. He uses a "backfeed" method. Basically it has a 220v plug that he plugs into the dryer electricity socket and feeds the entire house that way. (You have to make sure you shut all of the breakers though, or you can blow them all out). It worked very well during Hurricane Sandy. If you want an automatic one that kicks on right away they are much more complicated and expensive. Also you are going to want to do regular maintenance on it, oiling, cleaning, and such and testing to make sure it works. They are a much bigger pain in the ass than many people realize.

I don't think i've lost power since I moved to NYC. Reliability is good, but we sure as hell pay for it.

15. SkinnyGoomba

I enjoy having it, the threat of storms is much less threatening. The only downside is cost.