The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

None of those things are bad in their own, but when their powers combine....

Scary part is that the trend continues, I drove post one community being built a couple days ago. I was hoping one of the benefits of the recession would be the end of the McHouse era.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Some old neighborhoods that match the description you've laid out as being so attractive have HOAs, FYI.

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Replaced the capacitor and the contactor and she started right up. That's a relief.

Throwing parts at the problem works yet again!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  4. SkinnyGoomba

Replacing a corroded pipe and all that was in it's path. So much fun.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I have to say I enjoy the constant HOA hate.

FWIW, deed restrictions have been around for a very long time and they are often far more onerous than HOAs and have quite a sordid history.

6. SkinnyGoomba

Just FYI frost proof sillcocks are only frost proof if the building installs them correctly. Which is a downward slope. Otherwise the backhalf of them always has water and eventually cracks. You wont find out about the crack until you water the plants, because the seal is ahead of the crack.

Lucky I caught this before destroying the room I literally just finished painting the day prior. I only had a cut a hole in the ceiling which has no access panel, practice my pipe sweating skills on the replacement parts and repair the ceiling....which will then have an access panel when finished.

I wanted to replace that shitty looking sill cock anyways....

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Had to look up what a sillcock was. Learn something new every day.

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Fuck... wasted $120 because I forgot to buy bathroom specific paint for the bathrooms... now I have no use for this other paint. :(

Using it anyways...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

if $120 is the worst waste/loss you experience as a homeowner, then you will have been profoundly lucky in that regard.

10. Piobaire

I just had some tile work done in our master suite shower. I want to seal the grout in a few spots just to be extra safe. What do all you DIY experts suggest I use as a product?

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Nope... this comes after wasting $900 on the first painter...

12. SkinnyGoomba

I'm finding enjoyment in doing all the drywall/painting myself. It seems as if painters in my area do not like to take on one-room jobs, so the prices I got back were all enough that I decided just to do it myself. They are probably much more reasonable for a whole house.

Sorry Pio, I'm pretty limited on tiling experience at this point. Does the grout manufacturer make a recommendation or accommodating product?

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

If it was one room, I'd do it. In fact I had such a hard time picking colors, I'm almost positive at least one room will be redone once I'm dissatisfied with how it turns out. With that said, it's the whole house and will probably be done today. I can't compete with efficiency like that.

14. SkinnyGoomba

It's my opinion that many people make colors a lot more difficult than they need to be. Admittedly they are slightly difficult in Mchouses, which are a collage of design style and which have the color dictated by the furnishings more than the architecture. Aside from that you can always default to the original style of the design and the era.

A shade or two in either direction is not going to make a huge impact, if you generally have lighter colors in the furnishings and wood then I would lean toward the lighter shade of anything you are picking and vice versa for dark furnishings and woodwork.

15. Piobaire

I spent a few summers drywalling and sanding and am actually very handy about that. If I was in the area I'd come over and mud for you.

No, no idea what the grout manufacturer says.