Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

A 20-minute commute isn't bad at all. And older houses can be much more expensive to maintain, repair, heat and cool, insure, etc. In town taxes will be higher, much higher, to pay for schools you can't use. And there's always the danger of the neighborhood going to shit and your house becoming worthless. At least, that's how it is around here, where in the city the toilets sometimes flow backwards and the city denies liability, then sends you a bill for a thousand dollars when they dig up your street to fix it.

Like Piob said, rates and prices are ridiculously low. Buy as much house as you think you'll ever want.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

These days there is a risk of suburban neighborhoods going to shit too, so that is a wash.

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I suppose that's true.

All my neighbors are in their sixties. Great folks to live around, but what happens when they get into the 70s and 80s and leave en masse?

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Be very nice to them. Maybe you'll get in their will.

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

It should be pretty easy to identify which ones are going to do that. As long as the suburb has some money, proximity to wealthier areas, and doesn't rely on a single large employer, you should be okay.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Beware of neighborhoods where there are a growing number of rentals. This is happening across the country in the wake of foreclosures and investors buying these properties. Personally, I would avoid a neighborhood where there are rentals unless the landlord lives on the same street. I've seen some formerly good neighborhoods turn into rather funky streets - landscaping goes to crap, cars parked everywhere, etc...

7. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

That happens in owned properties too.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This is where a good HOA comes into play.

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I hesitate to see never, but I don't forsee myself living in a place with an HOA. I really don't want my neighbors determining the color I paint my house or the height of my flag pole.

10. Piobaire

In general (as I'm sure there are a million exceptions) that's just not how an HOA really works. Things like paint schemes are set up by the developer prior to the first house getting sold. If the neighborhood is going for "a look" there is a great deal of sense in not allowing an owner to do something jarring that just does not fit the rest of the neighborhood. And as I pointed out, landscaping gone to hell, cars parked everywhere, etc. is prevented by a good HOA. An HOA stops the very things PSG and others were warning against happening.

11. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Even though they've nailed me twice over the last few years (justifiably, for some yard upkeep I'd been putting off), I'm grateful for our city code enforcement -- they're on the ball about that sort of thing. It's like having all the good and none of the bad of an HOA.

12. Piobaire

That's quite a city you live in.

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have neighbors who have moved to our unincorporated, private road area to avoid HOA's and their issues. I hear horror stories about them and the people who often run them. But they do have their benefits. For example, it was quite a project when I decided we needed the road repaved. With no HOA, no real proven laws enforcing road maintenance, I had to convince 28 property owners to cough up the dough to pave the road. It took a year and a half and in the end we had a couple of deadbeats who didn't pay. But after all that time and work, I didn't want to spend another year chasing them in court. At that time, I wished I had a HOA to enforce some basic repairs and maintenance.

14. otc

otc Senior member

What happens in an HOA neighborhood when the houses get old and somebody decides one of them has to go?
    Do they have to raise another stuccoed, gabled, vaulted ceilinged, pony walled 90's developer special?

Whats so lovely about old neighborhoods is that while they have a "look", that look isn't preformed in a mold. You've got neighborhoods like some of those in chicago's north shore suburbs that seamlessly blend styles through the ages. You've got victorians from the 1800s nestled amongst prairie and mid-century modern masterpieces next to contemporary buildings. Sometimes something might get painted a goofy color, but those things can work themselves out over time. None of that would have happened if somebody decided that 1897 was the height of architectural innovation and locked down the neighborhood's styling for 50 years until some board finally got around to changing something.

Those communities all have laws regarding road maintenance, cars parked everywhere, and lawn grooming. Not sure why you need a HOA for that (unless you want rules that are so onerous that they wouldn't fly as actual laws).

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This. Neighborhoods where every house looks the same are disturbing and depressing.