• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

double00

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we're still in our rental while we tackle a couple of upfront projects to shake the ghosts out of our new place. I took up a couple of layers of floor to get down to slab in what will be a new office/workroom/misc. the other project will be getting rid of some paneling and a little drywall, then we've got some bigger projects down the road.

as an aside i've been wrestling with existence for the past couple of years and just efforting to get back on the fucking horse, so far this is a really amazing project to be involved in and I'm glad it's sort of kicking me into gear. it's been a road.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Good to hear you're back in the saddle.

Think I mentioned I found some rodent dropping behind my Kamado recently? Well, happened to be home yesterday when our pest guy was doing his monthly rounds. Had him to inspect the ramada structure. Fucking mice getting up under our counter enclosure through the opening where the drain pipe for the sink goes out. He climbed half way into the enclosure portion under the counter and came out with a handful of mouse turds. *sigh* $200 to vacuum/clean the space out, "exclude" it to stop re-entry, laying monitored traps, etc.

Love the Piob Palace but it's always something.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the Piob Palace but it's always something.
Now that the weather is turning, the list is growing. Have to level and reseed the front lawn. Roofer is hired, just need to schedule time (tearing off 30+ year old cedar shake). Looking to maybe do windows as well. Wife wants a few rooms painted. Driveway needs replacing or resealing. Some doors need replacing. The list goes on and on...

Marc Voorhees

Reaction score
Just wrote a $3400 check for bat, mice and raccoon removal .mother fucker .

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Solidarity, brother.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That said last night was why we own this home. Had three couples from the neighborhood over for a casual evening. Big nosh plate on the coffee table in the covered patio seating area, patio heaters on so the women folk would stay warm, fire pit blazing (fire glass) with a seating area there, and martini station set up on the bar top. Beautiful sunset, and as darkness set in, the pool/landscape lighting takes over.

I cranked out a few homemade pizzas on the Kamado Joe and they were brought inside to keep warm in one of the ovens while I broiled the pork bellies and we all assembled the sliders on our kitchen island. Rest of the evening around the dining room table, which looks out on the backyard, and fireplace on inside with the house opened up for the evening breeze.

At the end of the evening everyone just walked home. This neighborhood is like when I was kid in the '70s and neighbors actually did things together and hung out. We love it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
We had to rodent proof our building after a couple of rats died in the basement recently. Luckily we’re on the top floor - the lower units could smell it.

50949018-6C21-4531-A0E5-E1EE0C77E718.jpeg E0A1E139-3D35-44F9-9CD4-CF2E3E9BB0E2.jpeg

As part of our bathroom redo we’re restoring a transom window that was removed at some point in the past. We’re commissioning a stained glass window for the space and the designer is coming over on Monday.

Our inspiration images: a window in the neighborhood and a print by a Canadian artist that hangs in our dining room.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I can see your plan now. If you don't like the finished product? Blame Canada.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Grout day so I took some progress shots. My wife and I separately realized we’d unconsciously recreated a bathroom from an international class hotel in almost any major city in the world:

C34AC9DE-2243-4468-B9D7-0FE2B75A878C.jpeg

The tub is massive so the vanity is a bit squeezed between the toilet and tub. The valves in the wall turned out to be a last minute building code addition and will have to be accessible from inside the vanity.

850ECE43-5E05-4A78-80BE-3C0CF7398F08.jpeg
59CFA18E-A7D3-4EF5-AE42-50D55DEAD3F7.jpeg

The once and future transom:

77EA94EC-FFE8-4ACD-93F2-756C24EAFAD4.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Not one pipe outside the wall? Son, I am...

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope you enjoy tearing your pipes out and replacing everything because of water damage. Those Russian European pipes are a ticking time bomb.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.