1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. imatlas

imatlas Stylish Dinosaur

This absolutely, although are goal is that even never-evers on their first day are having loads of fun.

Semi-official answer: efficiency and versatility.

The best skiers can ski anything with efficient movements.

PS if you can't link turns you are a beginner skier.

2. Kappelan

Kappelan Distinguished Member

The ability to get from top to bottom without falling )))

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

WTF does this have to do with skiing?

:bigstar:

4. imatlas

imatlas Stylish Dinosaur

Low bar.

5. Kappelan

Joking )

Although once I got into moguls, o man how fiercely I was looking for an exit ))

6. imatlas

imatlas Stylish Dinosaur

Soft knees and independent feet. Pressure tails as you finish the turn. Take a lesson.

7. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

So I am still annoyed at the extra splashing from my new faucet.

But the extra height makes washing things like large cutting boards super nice. And as a tall person, it seems to stop me from hunching my posture so much at the sink (although standing tall just leads to more splashing...)

And no ice. Soft bumps are like 100x easier than frozen ones. Also, it may be counter-intuitive, but bumps on hard runs are often easier to ski at resorts. Whenever you have that token "blue mogul run" where they don't groom something and let it get bumpy...it just gets cut up by all of the snowboarders and snowplow kids. Turns into a scraped-out mess that doesn't have any actually good ski-able lines. Whereas bumps only accessible through expert runs are shaped by skiers who know how to turn.

Was at Mount Bohemia last weekend and felt pretty neet to run into patches of moguls on very moderate slopes that were untouched by noobs. Could just power through them nonstop.

8. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Distinguished Member

The bolded seems right to me. I have also found there to be an inverse relationship between people claiming to be good skiers and their actual skill level. Most of the great skiers I know would say they are "okay" because they know they can always be better. I have one friend who claims to be a good skier who says she can make it down anything and keep up with anyone but can't actually carve. It should be self-evident that you have to be able to smoothly carve a blue groomer to consider yourself a good skier, but that eludes her.

I do think everyone's calibration is a bit different and that people don't all value the same skills. My wife has better technique than I do but she thinks I'm a better skier than her because I tend to ski more aggressively. I think she's a better skier because her technique is superior. We are also exclusively west coast big mountain skiiers so we tend to prefer carving at high speed on wide open terrain as opposed to bumps or trees. Doesn't mean we don't enjoy those other things, particularly trees on powder days, but that is not where our strengths lie.

As for the postscript, I would say linking turns doesn't take you out of the beginner realm. My kid can link turns after 2 lessons but is still decidedly a beginner.

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

As a mostly off piste skier I find the basic necessity is learning how to properly carve a ski and make a balanced edge change. Done properly this teachs you where your body mass center belongs. Once you intuit this everything else just becomes a matter of adjusting to maintain that center. Slarving , skidding, plowing,pivoting even stemming all become useful tools for turning a feature filled landscape into a playground

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

10. Kappelan

I have to fulfil my carving goals first )

11. Numbernine

Ski a flat ski in bumps

12. CDFS

CDFS Distinguished Member

Carving is for n00bs. Parallel skiing is where it's at.

13. Numbernine

Jong

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

*sigh* I'll be honest, I hate home/yard work. Just finished about 90 minutes of it and still need to put a couple coats on two wooden door frames/sills. Maybe tomorrow.

15. Numbernine

When you retire you can do it whenever you feel a little more inspired . I usually don't mind at all.