Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

if 1/2 or 1/4% is going to torpedo your deal, then you are stretching way too far.

2. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

if 1/2 or 1/4% is going to torpedo your deal, then you are stretching way too far.

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

That is certainly true -- but 1/2 or 1/4% (on my mortgage, at least) would mean easily ten or twenty thousand bucks over the life of the loan, so it's worth at least asking the question.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

It's not, I just don't want to leave money on the table.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I would be tempted to go with a lighter color, something like an off white for the paint, medium brown for the floors. Your house sounds like something I would see floor to ceiling linen drapes in, so I would shy away from overly dark colors. You may find the dark beige to work terribly with black granite also.

That will also help to avoid falling into 'wenge stain' territory, which comes and goes in a flash. A lot of what can be very cool has been done poorly so often that is now impossible to do well.

I personally dislike painted accent walls. I think they're a Debbie-designer kind of thing.

Sounds like I'm not the only one that has to go in front of the board (fiancée) and request approval for changes around the house. My stairwell and now my study are coming along well enough that she is starting to trust my gut on changes.

Last edited: May 29, 2013

6. JamesJones

JamesJones New Member

I recently purchases a foreclosure in Florida and a majority of my time is spent repairing things around the house. No one project seems to be overly expensive. But with working on multiple (required) projects at one time, with multiple (necessary) projects on the waiting list....I feel like I'm house poor...

But after seeing the projects that I have completed, done. I do get a sense of accomplishment and joy in my choice to be a homeowner....I just hope it will eventually slow down and I can keep some of my money in my pocket for a few months.

7. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

I understand, but I wouldn't make a bad decision based on that fact. The worst thing you can do in any transaction, but especially a real estate transaction is move too fast, get too emotional, etc.. better to pay that 1/4 point and get it right than to rush and regret it later.

Again, if you are sweating 10-20K over 30 years/15 years/etc... then you are worried about the wrong thing. tell me about the 10-20K when you need a new roof, or new HVAC.....you'll learn how insignificant that $55/month your getting worked up about is.

8. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

$20k could get you a new roof and a new HVAC on the average house. Just sayin'.

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I was not prepared for yard care :( No clue what to do. Considering hiring a landscaper to remove all the shrubs/trees in the backyard and put down some grass.

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

So we had the inspection on the home we're buying (I think) yesterday. There is some significant rot in the cedar siding with potential damage beneath as well. How does this normally go down?

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Demolish the house and start over.

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Well that would be sad. Good thing it's not mine yet.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Siding? Can't you just replace siding? Isn't that the point?

Never lived anywhere with siding, so I have no idea...but it seems like people were always getting new siding.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

C unit died -- or realistically, is currently limping along. Home owner's warranty to the rescue.

15. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I live in a house with cedar shakes. You replace the rotting shakes and check for damage there. If it is significant you may be better just residing the whole house.