The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm in California in the Bay Area. There is a great deal of competition in the upper housing market to present your home with a certain look. Dark floors give a 2013 style. Natural oak is very dated.

Aside from that, we have lots of big windows, lots of natural light and very high ceilings. A dark floor shouldn't hurt a thing.

2. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Are you going to sell your house in 2013? Today's fad, as you noted, can look very dated in a couple years.

3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

You mean classic. Just because something isn't trending currently, doesn't mean it looks "dated." In another 10 years your natural oak floors will look less dated than the dark glossy flooring of 2013.

4. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

:cheers:

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Lots of work around our house this week. Lots of garden work as well, repainting the deck, repairing damaged window screens, etc.

We completely gutted the backyard last year, and so far grass has been coming up strong in some patches and leaving empty patches. I suspect it is a combination of light, inconsistent watering (the worst spots probably got the most water), and planting a bit too late with a long winter.

We also planted 30 evergreen shrubs to eventually grow into a living hedge last year. Unfortunately most died. They were about 6 inches big when we got them, and again, a very long winter did them little favors, especially when they were covered in snow until May.

I was able to get a great price on some 6' tall ones this weekend, and those are in. I'm going to try to nurse some of the survivors back to health, and then reevaluate them.

6. GusW

No, I mean "dated" in the context of homes built in this area within the last 15 years. They look current by updating certain features i.e stainless steel kitchens, dark wood flooring or you can stay with white appliances and light oak and it will look 15 - 25 years old. All new premium construction has dark hardwood flooring.

Certainly natural oak is classic, but, in this area only in much older homes with much more period woodwork (those are quite rare). In my area natural oak was a trend that looks very dated now along with tile counter tops and all black or all white appliances.

My goal is to maximize the value and appeal to a buyer in the next 1-3 years.

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Just some suggestions/opinions;

Dark stained oak looks good in the right context, the correct context is a craftsman style home. Stain over light wood is a product of craftsman homes, furniture and all of the copy-cat'ing that followed.

'Modern' is a time period, contemporary is current.

You may be on the tail end of this, as one trend leads right into the next. Everyone is bonkers for 'dark wood' at current, and will be on natural oak again shortly. You would be much better off to simply chose what you like, independent of what is currently being put in gated community homes.

I personally like walnut floors and white walls, that is a product of the fact that I generally like dark furniture, which is more easily placed on a dark floor.

Beige in itself is sort of the trend that won't die, it's a bit cookie-cutter and seems to go back and forth between light and dark shades in the way of trendiness. I do not think that dark floors and beige walls belong together. IMO dark floors call for either shades of grey or just white.

Last edited: May 28, 2013

8. GusW

Thanks guys for your comments and feedback. It is good to be challenged! We actually have until next week to make up our minds.

Just yesterday my wife came to me and said,"I'm having second thoughts on really dark floors". She said she read about people who love the look but hate the maintainence. So we pulled out a lot of Elle Decor and European design mags and tore out photos of various wooden floors.

We won't go natural or amber (amber being the look of a natural aged oak) and may go with a medium brown but without any hint of red.

I agree with you Skinny that dark floors and white walls look best. Mrs PSG is terrified that white walls will look too stark and or office like. I have no fear of white. I love it. Beige does seem like an 80's trend that just won't go away :) The painters around here all say it is still #1 and then very dark accent walls are "hot" especially with real estate agents seeking to make an impact.

For what its worth, our home is a California Mediteranian style with tan stucco and clay tile roof exterior. The interior has white wood painted trim, white kitchen cabinets with black granite, beige marble bathrooms. High ceilings downstairs. Half of the floor is covered with Persian rugs.

Any other comments on paint or floor colors will be appreciated.

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Igot preapproved at 3.5% but I hear rates are going up. Should I lock in my rate before the inspection gets done? I can't get it inspected until next week.

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

You mean it was 3.5% when you got preapproved? I doubt they'll give you that now since the rates went up pretty hard recently.

As to whether they're going up or down, I don't know, and I bet you don't either. So...good luck with that.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

3.5 is damn good. I'd do it.

12. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I think it's closer to 4% today, which is still, historically speaking, a fantastic rate, assuming you can still afford the house.

13. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Yeah, it was about a month ago. I just want to know if it's wise to do it before inspection. It's safeto assume it will continue to rise.

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

If you're sure it's going to keep rising, lock it in as soon as they'll let you. IIRC all you should need is a signed contract to do that.

But do make sure you ask them how long the lock is for.

If you're worried about repairs to the house you can usually get them done in 30 days, or just agree to waive the contingency anyway in exchange for more closing costs or the like and fix them on your own time.

Last edited: May 29, 2013

15. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Agreed, when we closed we locked in and we had 90 days to close IIRC.

Looks like rates are up about 20 basis points since last week. I doubt they'll let you get that 3.5% they told you about a month ago. You might be able to get ~3.75 though.