The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Laminate can't be refinished like wood. It's just cardboard with a picture of wood on it and a layer of plastic over that. It can't be sanded, period. Are you sure it's laminate and not engineered wood, which is basically strips of plywood with a thick wear layer of real wood (and infinitely better). All you can do with laminate is wax it or put something over the top plastic layer--which can work pretty well, actually.

You'll have to pay the buyer's agent 3%. If you don't offer that they won't show your house and you lose a huge percentage of buyers. Even then they won't want to deal with you because you don't know what you're doing. Plus you'll have to pay for listing on the MLS (though it's not expensive). You can negotiate with listing agents about their cut, but there's some debate about whether you need to make sure the buyer's agent gets the full 3% or they won't show your house. Maybe it depends on the market. That's probably your best bet to save some money.

On the other hand you can put a for sale sign in the front yard and hope somebody sees it when they drive by. Good luck with that. Honestly if you've never bought or sold a house before you should get someone to list it for you.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Just as I expected we must have scared them because they just accepted our 6.5% reduction offer! They have a 36 year old House with no updates and no bids after 2 years, so I had a feeling they'd cave. Plus they don't even live there anymore so it's just sitting collecting their tax dollars.

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Congrats. You gotta stick it to 'em when you buy 'cause you know they're going to do it you when you sell. That's how it works.

4. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

congrats on the accepted offer. We had a similar situation with a stubborn previous owner sitting on something he knew should be worth more but he never made an aesthetic updates. unfortunately he didnt have a real estate agent to talk sense to him so we had to banter back and forth with the dope.

5. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

:slayer: Let the updating commence!

6. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

This place has already been reduced 150K over the last 2 years so this guy must have realized he was unrealistic.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Everyone can look forward to years worth of angry posts in this thread :slayer:

8. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Yup, this is me, on the other side of the coin.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

yep, we just closed on our old house as well, i gave up a ton (well to me at least) of equity but they were great renters and took the house as-is, so it's not an awful deal.

10. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Awesome, T. Glad to hear you're out from under it, even under less than ideal circumstances.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

thank you D, and good luck getting yours to closing as well.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  12. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

[​IMG]

we're rounding the corner on our home renovations, cabinets are mostly in and waiting for countertop. walls are painted, carpets have been pulled and we're waiting for floors to been refinished. in making all this noise, we stirred up an colony of carpenter ants that might have otherwise gone unnoticed. they were living in the upstairs exterior wall of the main bathroom so the wife was instantly grossed out, exterminator handled the bugs but she still didn't want to live with the existing bathroom. I'm so glad for her bug phobias because as soon as I started into the tile, the rest of the wall started coming with it. In complete shock that we were planning on moving in and using that bathroom. Carpenter ants had colonized a good 6 SF of wall space and eaten right through a few 2x4s. we'll have to re-frame, new window, insulate (only half of the wall was insulated) and new tile. Unreal.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

And I don't have to tell you this, as you're a muckety much CPA and all, but that passive loss comes off in one fell swoop next year at your highest marginal rate. Exactly what I hope to have happen next year but not lose much in the sale price.

Good luck Doug on getting the house sold.

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

After 10 years of living in our home we are doing a basic remodel. The house was built in 1998 and we are the second owners. The rule of thumb that I was taught was to move or remodel after a home is 14 years old. It is funny how things we loved about our home, we still enjoy. However, when looking at brand new homes or remodels, we see ours has aged a bit and needs a refresh to maximize value and it's appeal in the event that we move in the next year or two.

List of remodel:
    1) Remove two carpeted areas downstairs, replace with hardwood to match existing oak flooring. Entire downstairs will be exactly the same hardwood. Change color from "blond" to dark brown for a cool, more modern look. The natural oak color now looks dated and "late 80's early 90's"
    2) re-face all kitchen cabinets with white Shaker style and nickel round pulls
    3) SS appliances
    4) Wine "captain" built in to the island (yippie!)
    5) Paint entire interior up and down. This time with a slightly darker shade of beige for the walls and a medium white ceiling, bright white trim.
    6) upstairs carpet replaced with a taupe shade (a bit darker than what we have currently)
    7) refinish front door and banister to match dark brown floor.

Everything is ready to go. The floors begin a week from today. We think we can pull this off in two weeks. Wish us luck!

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Dark brown wood, huh?

I really prefer the natural red oak color. It's honest. Dark-stained oak looks cheap in my opinion, like it wants to look walnut but very conspicuously isn't.

Dark wood floors also show dust and scratches. And it tends to swallow up darker furniture.

I say this as somebody whose whole house has dark stained oak floors.