• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have half a mind to lay down a grand or so and buy my own set of HVAC tools so I can avoid those bastards. I think I need to replace the evaporator on one my units. I need to get estimates but it could be $1000-1500. 2/3 of the cost is labor and markup.

But those through-the-wall units are easy to replace yourself, aren't they? No special tools required, so why pay somebody $700 or more to do it?

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How much wall space should a painter reasonably be expected to cover in an 8 hour day? One coat, no trim or ceiling. And then what is they are doing trim?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have half a mind to lay down a grand or so and buy my own set of HVAC tools so I can avoid those bastards. I think I need to replace the evaporator on one my units. I need to get estimates but it could be $1000-1500. 2/3 of the cost is labor and markup.

But those through-the-wall units are easy to replace yourself, aren't they? No special tools required, so why pay somebody $700 or more to do it?

Well it has piping and this and that for the gas and whatnot. I have no idea how it works. Apparently the current one has a freon leak they couldn't find and since it didn't have freon in it the compressor burned out from running too hot too long. I can't be bothered with it, plus they are giving me a 5 year warranty. I don't even plan to live here in the next 5 years so I'm golden.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I just put a bid in on my first home. 6.5% under. Fingers crossed.

I wish that's how my bidding process had turned out :(

Also, good luck :thumbs-up:

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So we are looking to purchase a "forever" home as we have been calling it as the townhouse we currently live in would not be large enough once we decide to have kids. There have been some projects we discussed completing if we stayed longer but now I am thinking about the return if we do decide to sell in the next year.

1) Painting. This has been a slow process for us but the current wall color is a gold and we would paint it neutral. This seems like a minimal cost as we have everything other than the paint.

2) Replace deck. The deck is maybe 16'x7' on the townhouse. They used nails instead of screws and the nails keep popping up. Seems like a lot of houses in the area painted their deck areas. The boards hold but look in rough shape currently. Would cost <$500 to replace so is this a worthwhile expense to replace or just paint for sale?

3) Flooring. On the main floor the previous owners put down this cherry colored wood flooring. It is the cheapest flooring I have encountered as anything seems to scratch it. We have rugs in some areas put you can see a lot on the non-covered areas. This would be the largest cost but it is worth updating for sale?

Part of me thinks I am being too picky and some home buyers won't notice it on a walk through. Since my fiancee bought this before she was my fiance she was less picky and was ok with the quirks of the house. In everyone's experience are people walking through extremely picky?

Thanks in advance

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Paint all the walls and use it as an opportunity to put excess furniture/personal belongings in storage.
Make sure the deck is solid - add screws where necessary - then paint/stain one week before you put it on the market.
Use a polish/cleaner on the floors.

lefty

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Absolutely paint the house. I'd talk to the listing agent about the deck and the wood floor, but my hunch is paint and wax respectively. People actually like well-worn wood floors.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned, the floors are laminate and not one that could be refinished (can laminate be refinished once?). But good idea on the deck and replacing with screws where needed and painting.

This whole paying listing agent fees annoys me but it is worth it in the end? Can't I just pay a lawyer for a contract then advertise myself? Zillow or Truilia seem like they should be mopping up this old method of selling things with a middle person.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Our old house is under contract. Pray for us we can get this thing to closing.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any news?
they came back at 4% less but our agent told them the situation(we have all the leverage) so we haven't gotten it back in writing yet. This evening is the deadline. I suspect they'll come back a touch lower and we'll have it settled.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics