1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Any suggestions for lighting the bottom of cabinets that hang over an island?

They hang above eye level so I don't want something that will throw off glare or look ugly (since unlike other under cabinet lighting, they won't be hidden from standing sight).

No electricity available as they hang from a concrete ceiling with no existing wiring, so they will probably have to be battery powered. Maybe they catch enough sunlight and residual light that solar batteries might work.

Space is roughly two 12x14 cabinet bottoms (there is a longer middle section, but it has a wine glass hanging rack), so I am looking at things more like puck lights rather than strips.

Edit: decent CRI would be ideal, but seems unlikely...

2. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

99% of the problems people have with reciprocating saws involve them using the wrong blade, a dull blade, or them just not knowing how to use the saw. Any of the major 18v brands will eat right through 2x4s and nails. If you're cutting plate steel a lot, maybe you want a plug in but otherwise the convenience of battery powered wins the day.

ETA: guy saws a riding mower in half in 2 minutes using a $35 (at least that's what I paid for mine) Hitachi 18v sawzall. And he doesn't exactly wow you with his technique.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019

3. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

Yeah battery powered is pretty close in price to corded these days. We’re out of the sales season but a kit with a couple of tools (drill, saw, impact, etc) and a couple of batteries can be had for around $200-$300 for really quality tools. Just about any major brand will do, but I’d shy away from craftsman after being sold and now not made or hq in the usa. Kobalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Bosch, Porter Cable, Ridgid, Dewalt are all close in terms of quality and price. Even if you just buy what you need, choose a line that can expand easily so that a simple combo kit can become a nice arsenal in the future. (I’ve been building my 15+ tool kit since 2009)

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I like DeWalt, Milwaukee, and Makita for cordless. For the recipe saw, Milwaukee's Sawzall may not be made like they used to, but they're still stout and hold up to abuse. For the inexhaustible electrons, I would probably choose corded and an extension cord over cordless. That said, cordless is certainly up to most jobs.

Whichever brand you get, you should consider the kits which include a drill/driver and a light impact driver. The latter drives screws really nicely. You might also want an oscillating multi-tool for the remodeling work.

5. sugarbutch

P.S.: Picking one brand and battery type for all of the tools will make your life easier. Once you've done that, three batteries and a couple of chargers will have you shittin' in high cotton. :)

6. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

That's a good point.
    Home Depot has had the Milwaukee combo packs as a deal of the day every couple weeks for a few months. I'm guessing Home Depot committed to sell a lot of product for their deal with Milwaukee.

In fact, here's a big kit that is still on sale: https://slickdeals.net/f/12479338-m...ool-box-499?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

7. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

The one tool I miss most(contractors provided all our tools) since I've retired is the porta-band. Pipefitters use those things constantly especially when an oxy/acetylene rig is unavailable or impractical.

8. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Those porta-bands are very cool.

9. Bromley

Bromley Senior Member

Essential: Miter saw, circular saw, drill, impact driver, random orbit sander, and maybe an oscillating multi-tool (depending on demolition needs). Nail gun is nice to have for trim. Batteries are usually interchangeable within a brand. A few extra batteries are nice to have, as well. Good luck!

10. Kappelan

Kappelan Distinguished Member

Another project progress )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What was done right before Christmas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a lot of work to do.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Has anyone mentioned an air compressor yet? Need an air compressor.

12. sugarbutch

For the nail gun/stapler? I think the battery powered versions have progressed to the point that the advantage of air-powered versions aren’t worth the hassle of hoses and a compressor.

Perhaps you have other tools/uses in mind...

13. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    I don't get shower fixtures that are hidden inside the particle wall. Why?
    What if some joint starts to leak, and it usually does? You would find out always too late when you have mold and rot and to fix it you would need to destroy the wall and fix the wooden floors that have been rotting for years. Why not install 'Victorian' external fixtures? They come with rain-shower and handheld and look better , imo.
    Also never understood those tiny 3" back-splashes in the bathrooms or kitchens around the sinks. Why not just tile the walls properly? That way you can wash off all the soap and toothpaste etc. from the walls.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

Why don't we just expose all of our plumbing in case there is a leak? Why don't we expose all of our duct work and electrical too?

15. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

That was the theory behind this:

Unknown.jpeg