• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife insisted on the handheld.

85c.gif

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Porch turned out nicely! I'm quite partial to bluestone generally, though...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The additional American Fireglass was a big hit last night.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Apparently our house has been designated gathering spot this holiday season. Makes me happy as all the work we've done in the last few years was all about creating a great place to host people and this tells me we've succeeded.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope to be moving soon so it will be handy to have a good assortment of power tools around. The tools I have are ancient and all with cords.

What do you guys recommend in the way of power tools if you knew you were going to move and tackle some pretty basic remodeling projects? (assembly, trim, hanging stuff, that sort of thing)

Seems a battery power drill would be ideal. I have a ****** old circular and jig saw that is rarely used but handy when needed.

Any suggestions?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love my Porter Cable drill and assorted power tools.

If you are edging trim, you will need a good miter saw, I love my DeWalt, accurate and easy to set up .Jigsaw wouldn't kill you, Bosch makes a good one .

Lots of Sears are going out of business, might be a good time to stock up on some Craftsman stuff? If not, kobalt makes really good tools, they are from Lowe's. Love their wrenches and ratchets.

Reactions: Gus

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope to be moving soon so it will be handy to have a good assortment of power tools around. The tools I have are ancient and all with cords.

What do you guys recommend in the way of power tools if you knew you were going to move and tackle some pretty basic remodeling projects? (assembly, trim, hanging stuff, that sort of thing)

Seems a battery power drill would be ideal. I have a ****** old circular and jig saw that is rarely used but handy when needed.

Any suggestions?
Makita 18v get a couple with batts and when you add tools you can buy tool only. 30+ years in heavy construction and those are the ones I like. An impact with a good bit set and a 1/2" pistol drill are the basic

brokencycle

Reaction score
If you're doing trim, get a nail gun. It will look better and go a lot faster.

Milwaukee tools have been on sale a lot at Home Depot. Watch Slickdeals.

I have a sawzall, drill, and impact driver from them (I have the 18v brushless -- fuel line would be Overkill). All great. I have a Craftsman miter saw and Husky brand nail guns.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like they said, pick a brand (like Milwaukee or Dewalt), get a basic drill/driver and impact, 18v with >= 3.0 AH batteries. 20v is a marketing gimmick. Then just add whatever you need when you need it.

But keep the corded circular saw and jigsaw. You probably won't use them enough to warrant cordless.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the longer these things have been around the more alike they've become.Just pick a known brand that is technically similar to the others . Almost gets down to just what color you like.I recommend batts with charge indicators but I'm always moving them around from one tool to another. Sucks to crawl under the house and realize you only had 2 minutes worth of charge left.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're doing trim, get a nail gun. It will look better and go a lot faster.

Milwaukee tools have been on sale a lot at Home Depot. Watch Slickdeals.

I have a sawzall, drill, and impact driver from them (I have the 18v brushless -- fuel line would be Overkill). All great. I have a Craftsman miter saw and Husky brand nail guns.
I have Ridgid but I use my cordless sawzall (18v) as my tree trimmer. No need to get a chainsaw (yet).

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great information guys, thank you all.

So, if you were to get a reciprocating saw that was hefty enough to cut small metal, plywood,, etc. can you use a cordless? If so , which brand and model do you suggest? Looks like the Makita cordless is limited to cutting plastic pipes and drywall. I want to be able to cut out built-in heavy wood cabinets, cut through nails if needed, etc. Or should I (or need to) go with a plug-in?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, if you were to get a reciprocating saw that was hefty enough to cut small metal, plywood,, etc. can you use a cordless? If so , which brand and model do you suggest? Looks like the Makita cordless is limited to cutting plastic pipes and drywall. I want to be able to cut out built-in heavy wood cabinets, cut through nails if needed, etc. Or should I (or need to) go with a plug-in?
As far as I'm concerned battery saws are a luxury item . They are nice to have if you need to do a quick little bit of work and don't want to drag cords out or if there isn't a power source nearby. Otherwise I stick to corded saws. I hate reciprocating saws although god knows I've used them enough but only when nothing else will work,demo,butcher work like roof or wall pens and limbing trees.Brands I like Skil for circular saws ,Milwaukee for everything else, DeWalt is good too.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I have corded. It gets used sparingly, but I'd stick to corded.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads