1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I marine varnished my outdoor table and i'm now on year 2 without too much of an issue. It's now starting to flake in a few areas, but I'm amazed so far that it has lasted without the need to be completely stripped and redone.

2. otc

otc Senior member

Depends what you want it to look like.

If you want it to be a lush brown forever, then you had better keep oiling it. If you don't mind the gray (or prefer it), teak will do very well exposed to the elements. I've seen sailboats with unoiled teak parts that are 20 years old and still look great.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

New kitchen cabinet refacings going up while the painters are finishing the ceilings and walls. New nickel hardware being installed. If all goes well, the kitchen should be back to normal by 4pm. Keeping fingers crossed.

1 person likes this.
  4. GusW

We can use the kitchen tonight although it isn't complete.
    Painters - we will be done in two more days
    Cabinets- we will be done tomorrow
    Appliance Delivery -last pieces to be delivered Thursday
    Appliance install- Gas Range, Refrigerator, microwave Friday
    Floors- Final coat on hardwood floor Monday or Tuesday
    Move furniture- Wed, open champagne

Regarding refacing cabinets, I got quotes from two highly rated contractors that were almost half the price that Sears or Home Depot quotes. I also heard a few inconsistent stories about the subs used by HD and Sears. I recommend researching and going direct with a guy who actually does the work and needs to maintain his reputation.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  5. SUPER K

SUPER K Senior member

Connie,

there are usually programs to help first timers. Money toward down payment, rates, etc

6. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

full stop.

this is why conne should go to Amsterdam.

2 people like this.
  7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

No one told me this.

8. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I left a min-max thermometer in one of my side attics. It recorded 125 degrees, and that's on the attic that faces north!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  9. otc

otc Senior member

You probably weren't enough of a small timer to qualify.

10. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

about 22% at age 26 (northern NJ)

11. GusW

Painters gone:)
    Appliances in:)
    Kitchen cabinets all set:)
    Just waiting for the final coat on the hardwood floors on Monday then move furniture in on Tuesday.

2 week project will take 4 weeks. Like they say "twice as long and twice as expensive". Fortunately we are pretty much on budget.

1 person likes this.
  12. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

What do we have here? Found behind the paneling in the semi finished basement along with some mold in our current place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Old termite damage? Is it soft?

Look for cracks in wall or any sign of mud tunnels on concrete. Rethink having wood fastened directly to concrete. Termites live in the soil outside your house and the slightest crack in the wall quickly becomes an automat.

lefty

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

It's not soft, it's hard. No mud tunnels.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Could be any number of wood eating insects. Worth having it checked out for the peace of mind.

lefty

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  16. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Just got word from the bank that the appraisal came back favorable - good news leading into the weekend.

2 people like this.
  17. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It sure looks like termites. And they might still be in there below the surface.

18. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

It's a 70yr old house so I'm hoping if it is they were from a long time ago.

19. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I don't know much about termites, unfortunately. I do know that I've had boards with what looked like old damage and broken them or cut them up to find living termites. So be careful.

On a similar but related note, mosquitoes are a real problem here (I bet that's true everywhere), but I'd never really done anything about them. I come from the school of thought that bugs are food for more desirable animals (birds, lizards, frogs) and that they ought not be disturbed. To hell with that. I got a big backpack sprayer and some bifenthrin and started spraying my yard.

Mosquitoes and most other biting insects actually live in and (mostly) feed on bushes and high grass. Spray them and shady areas of the yard every couple weeks, and you can drive the bastards out of your yard. It really works!

Edit: a backpack sprayer: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-gallon-backpack-sprayer-65040.html (can be had for $20 with a coupon)

And the bifenthrin: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bifen-it-p-226.html

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  20. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Also going into your yard and making sure nothing (not even a bottle cap) has standing water. They can breed in the smallest sources of still water.