• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, funds are totally legit. When I had previously spoken with them, I was told only up to 5% could come as a gift. It's possible this only meant when they were evaluating how much money I had as cash on hand for obtaining my pre-qual? By the time I talk to them again, the money will be free and clear in my bank account.

In reading through this: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/realestate/mortgages-to-givers-of-down-payments.html?_r=0
Maybe I heard it backwards... that at least 5% had to be mine, which it is, by far. Can anyone clear this up for me?

I've never heard of this 5% limit. Is it a bank rule? I know a guy whose parents gave him 10% of the down payment.

Can you just wait until the funds clear? All you have to do is substantiate their source.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've never heard of this 5% limit. Is it a bank rule? I know a guy whose parents gave him 10% of the down payment.

Can you just wait until the funds clear? All you have to do is substantiate their source.

I think I had it backwards, so at least 5% mine, which isn't an issue. Funds will be cleared, no problem there. What does substantiating their source entail? Gift letter?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think I had it backwards, so at least 5% mine, which isn't an issue. Funds will be cleared, no problem there. What does substantiating their source entail? Gift letter?

Yes, but the money has to be show coming from an account that belonged to the gift giver. You can't just show them your account, you have to show the tracing of the funds.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Yes, but the money has to be show coming from an account that belonged to the gift giver. You can't just show them your account, you have to show the tracing of the funds.

Ok, thanks. That's not going to be a problem. This should all work out then :satisfied:

imschatz

Reaction score

Ok, thanks. That's not going to be a problem. This should all work out then :satisfied:

Ya, my bank asked for account info/ statements from my gifter .. to check to make sure the funds where there at least 90 days. They didn't need much .. just showed them a LOC that had the credit available 90 days before.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly didn't know this was a thing at all. I know a bunch of people whose parents paid way more than 5-10% of the down payment. How did that work then?

I'm asking seriously, not trying to be snarky at all. I seriously didn't know this was a thing.

imschatz

Reaction score

I honestly didn't know this was a thing at all. I know a bunch of people whose parents paid way more than 5-10% of the down payment. How did that work then?

I'm asking seriously, not trying to be snarky at all. I seriously didn't know this was a thing.
Ya, I don't think there was a limit now how much my dad could have given me. I just had to document that he had the money for more then 90 days .. as was the case we just showed he had the available credit in his LOC. My bank had a standard form my dad just put the value being gifted and signed it. It was probably the easiest part of the whole process. For all I know, that could have been 20-50% or more .. there was never any discussion about a possible limit to the size of the gift.

Then again .. this is in Canada, both using large banks, in 2 locations with very healthy housing markets, where getting a mortgage took me about 30 minutes (two 15 minute meetings). Likely a bit different in at least some parts of the US.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Homeowner's insurance. How much does it matter who I have? Any recommendations or companies to avoid? Is Mercury any good? Cheap if nothing else...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Homeowner's insurance. How much does it matter who I have? Any recommendations or companies to avoid? Is Mercury any good? Cheap if nothing else...

If you have a military connection thru a parent or spouse, I'd recommend USAA.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Unfortunately nope :( Liberty mutual is like 200 more per year than Mercury for same coverage and at least I've heard of them.

brokencycle

Reaction score

+1 USAA insurance is the best. All the people involved in my closing asked me if they were sure my insurance rate was right because it was so low.

Their customer service is also top notch.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1 USAA insurance is the best. All the people involved in my closing asked me if they were sure my insurance rate was right because it was so low.

Their customer service is also top notch.

And they give you a distribution at the end of the year.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Unfortunately nope
frown.gif
Liberty mutual is like 200 more per year than Mercury for same coverage and at least I've heard of them.

Mercury is one of those companies that takes anyone, regardless of past history. I'd steer clear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads