1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

100% this.

2. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

I grew up with kids who I have come to realize had to be dirt poor. I never thought much about it and to be honest I don't believe they did either.I know over 50% of what we ate was caught,shot,grown or picked wild.

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I end up poor it's going to be because of all the toys. It's amazing the things you can get these days for so little money. The most recent house-related toy would be a thermal camera. THe one I got is a "Flir TG-165"---$300. The resolution and refresh rates are poor but otherwise it seems to work just like the ones that cost tens of thousands. You can see gaps in the insulation, hot water pipes in the walls, the idle heat from wall warts and built-ins, etc.

Could really save my ass if I found a bad electrical connection with it or something, but in the spirit of the recent conversation I'd probably be better off letting it burn the house down for the insurance. Haha.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

You touched on another point here... For those of us with older parents, we only experienced the fully formed version of their living situation. My parents waited to have kids until they were financially secure, so that’s all I ever experienced. (They married late for the era, too. They lived in their “starter home” almost until retirement.) Until I realized that, I made some bad financial decisions (like renting apartments and purchasing cars that were at the upper edge of what I could afford).

5. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Oh, but one thing I will say about the Flir (and a lot of other tools/gadgets these days). The built-in battery is planned obsolescence, plain and simple. It might last five years, at which point I'll be on the hook for a huge fee to have it replaced, or, more likely, to toss the thing and buy a different one.

But it is neat (it also takes pictures and saves them to an SD card):

FLIR00002.jpg

You can see the line between the attic and the second floor in the garage ceiling. The long thing running parallel perpendicular to the joists is actually a couple light strips (they're off in the picture).

FLIR00004.jpg

The studs in a sloped upstairs ceiling along with the refrigerant lines for the mini split in the garage (should probably fix that, but I wanted them close to the drywall in case the house gets re-roofed. The round hot spot is an (insulated) can light.

FLIR00007.jpg

The insulated garage door in the detached garage/workshop.

FLIR00008.jpg

The uninsulated slab in the detached shop. The hot spot on the wall is a GFCI outlet.

You can probably guess I like air conditioning, so it's nice to be able to see where it's going.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018

6. brokencycle

Man, I won't see 67 in my house until winter!

7. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

Thats cause you moved to the south! Its a nice chilly 66 in my finished basement that hasn't seen ac yet this summer. (Zoned system that has been off)

8. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

As for the other conversation, I believe that I have stated this in other threads but I tend to agree with Piob about most this subject. People air their life situations as a "woe is me" with their financial ruin. I don't want to hear about your gripes (unless you are family). The wife and I both have lifelong friends that we are watching ruin themselves. Like new mortgages with maxed out equity and renovations to buying new vehicles without being able to afford the monthly. We talk about it a lot. At the same time, we finally "graduated" out of our starter home of almost 10 years just last year. We are the only people we know (besides her brother) that bought a starter home. Everyone else went all in and now bitches and moans about how they can't afford anything.

Edit: I went out today and cleared gutters that were full of crap because of heavy rains forecasted. Of course, it doesn't rain. :brick:

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

So the house I grew up in had a space heater as the sole heat source. I will say a space heater is excellent for drying off your wet boot, gloves, etc. after coming in out of the snow. Bales of hay around the foundations every winter. Got them for free off a farmer as long as we gave them back in the spring. Plastic over the windows every fall for the winter. For 3-4 years after my father died the only reason we had turkey for TG or Xmas was because someone from the church would stop by with a food box.

When it comes to being poor I get an A+.

10. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Distinguished Member

Doing some recon, wife and I would have been way better off had we stretched for a more expensive home when we were in the market last time.

We are contemplating upgrading and have been looking at what happened to the other homes we were considering and long story short, we did not make the wisest financial move. That said we have been happy here but we’ve also outgrown it and given that our house hasn’t performed as well as others in the market, the implications are major.

Nobody would have thought Bay Area real estate could be this expensive!

11. brokencycle

Just wait for CAexit.

12. NorCal

NorCal Distinguished Member

Sounds like tasty fun.

13. NorCal

NorCal Distinguished Member

Sell your house and move to the Northern part of the state.

14. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

That used to mean Auburn. Now its,what,Crescent City?

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

Making some calls today to lock down pricing and final touches then onto planning dates for tree cutting and backyard! My wife and I are excited but then we get comments from my inlaws, are you still leaving the pea gravel and pavers near the back door? Yes, for now. Why not do X, Y, or Z? Well that would add $$$ to the cost and we really want to enjoy out backyard we haven't really got to enjoy for 4 years.

They were doctors but are now retired. They have made comments in the past about how we are "not successful" even though we do not define success from a money standpoint. I alone make more than my parents ever did but they feel money is everything. At 65, my FIL is talking about getting dental work done they feel inferior to their friends. They really try to keep up with the Joneses but when you live at the smallest condo at the Ritz, your friends has multiples of your wealth. The types who buy Bentley's to drive one day a year when they use their condo.

Anyway, I am pumped for our backyard. We pay cash, don't use a HELOC, and save for something. We get excitement saving for projects even if they may be down the road.