1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

Anyone have any experience with Keuco for mirrors? Any recommendations? Looking for a wall mounted mirror without lighting, and these are made in Germany and about $300 for a frameless in the size I want vs about $150 for some no name brand. I guess I could also try a local glass place, but from talking to one, I think it would be more to go that route.

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

Yeah, thanks, but they are little more than just squares of MDF...

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

I know, that's why I suggested having some kid at home depot cut them for you. They might not all end up the same size but that just says to the world that they were "hand crafted."

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

Cutting for cup hinges then follows, I do it with a Bridgeport mill, but I know they do make jigs for it. Still the jig and bit are probably more expensive than having someone make the doors.

5. brokencycle

Lutron finally got back to me. Apparently I need a $125 dimmer switch for my wall fixtures and the Philips recessed lights will allegedly work everywhere else. Time to go buy some and see how it goes.

6. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

That looks great.

7. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

Yep.

8. brokencycle

So not what you said at all, bingo.

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I imagine the Bridgeport is a bit more expensive than the hinge jigs...

:)

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Most people would just use a forstner bit and a drill to install cup hinges. $10-15 tops.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

You can buy a kreg jig for it and a cheap bit and do it fairly inexpensively.

However, if you click this link: https://www.fine-tools.com/forstnerbohrer.html you will be forever ruined for things that come from the big box store. Godspeed.

Before you know it you'll be chucking those into your bridgeport mill and cutting with ideal cutting speed. The first time I cut with a Famag Bormax into wood with this setup I just stood there in sheer amazement.

The cut was so nice it brought a tear to my eye.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018

12. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Famag Bormax sounds like a character from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

13. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior Member

We need to replace approx. 1,000 sqft of flooring after our first floor flooded by a broken pipe. The impacted area includes the dining room, living room, two bedrooms, and hallways. The kitchen and laundry room are tile and were not negatively impacted. This is currently on a concrete slab at grade.

Our initial thought was engineered wood becsuse it can be laid directly on the slab but still exploring options. Anyone have recommendations on material and/or brands we should consider?

EDIT: for reference, the initial flooring was floating laminate. I am not exactly complaining because I disliked the flooring when we bought the place a few months back. Our neighborhood is $250-350k homes so we are not looking to channel our inner @Piobaire.

14. brokencycle

I can't speak to engineered wood, but I'm a big fan of Elmwood Reclaimed Timber. They were great to work with, and they had no problem sending us a ton of samples. We did solid wood, but the wood looks great, and because they're a custom mill, they can do pretty much whatever you want, and they have many engineered options.

15. Gibonius

Gibonius Stylish Dinosaur

Some of those look strikingly similar to the 60 year old flooring in my house. Going to have to bookmark that for future application.