1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

The weird thing about my current buzzing problem is that it is worse at full brightness and gets better with dimming.

2. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, one of the bulbs I tested did that -- but only when hooked up to a dimmer switch.

I tested three separate switches and it did it with all of them.

3. brokencycle

The most frustrating thing is if you reach out to Lutron they go "LEDs are complex and rapidly changing, and we can't guarantee good performance with all bulbs." I understand that, but that's why you're able to charge $30 for a switch not $2.

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

Wait....so the dimmer is causing the buzz or the bulb itself? I have Utilitech (Lowe's) brand LED recessed, lamp, and candle type bulbs and none of them buzz. For recessed lights, I have varying sizes and again, no buzzing.

5. brokencycle

The lights themselves buzz when attached to the dimmer. The electrician used Utilitech LED recessed lights and another brand (Juno maybe), and I'm using Maestro CL dimmers. The Utlitech ones buzz, and the others don't. We also have a couple of Halo branded ones not on a dimmer, so I tried moving one onto the dimmer, and there is a slight buzz that is only noticeable it is quite and you're standing underneath it.

Additionally, one of my wall fixtures (which unfortunately have integrated LEDs) also buzzes slightly. Again, it gets better at lower brightness. This one is even more frustrating because there might not be anything I can do except get new fixtures, which I don't want to do.

I could try moving the Utilitech to a normal switch to test.

The other problem is that what I really wanted was warm on dim - ie the LEDs that emulate incandescent dimming and go from ~2700K at full brightness to ~2200K at ~10% dim. There are a handful of them out there in either recessed retrofit kits or BR style bulbs. It seems like my best bet rather than trying to get help from the brands is just go to the store, buy a couple of each and try them.

6. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Our whole house was rewired last year and all of our light fixtures except one on the back porch is LED. The bulbs or integrated lamps are all from different sources, and none of them buzz. Maybe we just got lucky. Could have been the fact that we rewired, but I gradually replaced all of the bulbs in our old place with LEDs 4-6 yrs ago, and none of them buzzed. Most were Feit from Costco fwiw. Some were GE Reveal.

7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

Bookshelves... almost finished except for the cherry that will top the cabinets - we're still looking for the right piece(s). We're also still in the process of sorting and moving our books
    [​IMG]
    (yes, and I know I look scruffy!)

8. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

Each switch has a max amount of watts it can handle. When you get near or go over you will get a buzz.

9. brokencycle

So you're suggesting that my switch which can handle 600W is getting close to the max it can handle with 4 lights that are 8W each and that's the problem?

I have forgotten a lot from my electrical engineering classes, but I'm pretty sure 4*8 << 600.

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Well, the 600W dimmers are usually only rated for 150w LED, but that wasn't my issue either.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

FM, the shelves are painted wood?

12. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

Yes, the most basic white from Benjamin Moore - three layers, including the undercoat, with an eggshell finish. The framework is top quality maple ply with solid maple facings. Cabinet doors are MDF though, made-to-order from a company called Caron in Montreal.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Turned out quite nicely.

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

I guess it's too late now, but Lowes or Home Depot will cut a sheet of MDF into 2' squares for you for free.