1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Also, if anyone is thinking of a kamado style grill, highly recommend Kamado Joe, particularly if you were thinking of a BGE. Here's a Youtube as to why:

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

Drives me nuts! I bought hardware for the kitchen project and when installing the drawer glides with provided hardware it was all of about two attempts before I tossed them into the trash and used my own preferred brand. Generally I like GRK, they use a torx head which works nicely for driving screws and they're setup so that you dont need to drill first unless you are driving through a thin piece of hardwood.

After them I have some screws (not sure the brand) from Mcmaster Carr that are stainless and have a serrated tooth and they're also wonderful.

I use brass screws, if any, on furniture but always use a sized GRK first before the brass screws. I like the look of brass screws, but they really can't take much torque.

3. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

Back when I was a helicopter mech if I learned one thing it was how to drive/remove screws. A 1 ft square stress panel has about 200 of those buggers and no power tools were permitted.Speed handles only.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Love the GRK fasteners.

5. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

6. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

Hmm good deal but how often do you change bags on your c2? Our house is fairly large, and I'm afraid of be changing bags constantly.

7. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

What's up with the 1 year warranty? I swear Miele's had 5 years?

Edit: Bought one. Motor and casing have a 7 year warranty, 1 year for all other parts. ~2700 sqft home being redone with all hardwood so bag capacity shouldn't be a problem. Dog doesn't shed either. Stoked. I've loved the few Miele uprights I've used.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

8. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Surprisingly infrequently. Every couple of months?

I live in a 1br, but I have a cat. Even before the robovac, I wasn't changing them often.

Edit: I looked it up and my last order of bags was delivered on October 20th. I opened it last week, so if you assume I ordered it immediately taking the last bag out of the old box, it lasted about 2.5mo. In reality, I probably waited a couple of weeks to order...

And honestly, I am probably changing them early. It is hard to tell with cat fur since it distributes itself around the sides of the bag and starts cutting into suction long before the bag looks full. This time I changed it because I was done with my woodworking (although I swept up sawdust with a broom before vacuuming) and ceiling patching/painting projects and figured it was time even if the bag wasn't done just because it had some nasty stuff in it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

9. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Oh man, you are going to love the parquet twister brush. That thing maneuvers great and is a joy to use on wood floors.

10. MGoCrimson

Yea, I'm really looking forward to its arrival

11. MGoCrimson

Realized I didn't thank you for the heads up. Thank you @otc . Might be my best pickup of this sale season

12. 1969

1969 Distinguished Member

Started a fairly significant exterior renovation last month. Should have some good 'after' pics soon.

IMG_3460.JPG IMG_3448.JPG

13. flipstah

flipstah Senior Member

Anyone know how to shine up laminate floors? No dust, but it looks dull. It bugs me since the sun loves to enter the house and I see it.

14. RedLantern

RedLantern Distinguished Member

depends on material probably, what do you have? have you already tried normal stuff like mop n glo?

15. flipstah

flipstah Senior Member

I'm not sure as it was the previous owner that put it on. It's definitely not engineered wood, but laminate with the green core (I chipped one).

I've tried Mop N Glo but leaves streaks.