• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Really enjoying the Piob Palace going into this holiday season. Been doing quite a bit of entertaining and getting heavily complimented on things we've done the last few years. Also enjoying chilling with just Mrs. Piob and the gatos. Things are very cozy in the winter.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Really enjoying the Piob Palace going into this holiday season. Been doing quite a bit of entertaining and getting heavily complimented on things we've done the last few years. Also enjoying chilling with just Mrs. Piob and the gatos. Things are very cozy in the winter.

We know about your fireplace choice, but where do you stand on electrical switches and outlets?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am so glad I bought a plane. It is just a cheap block plane (although it is the kobalt one that is better than most low end ones), but it has saved me from an incredible amount of sanding effort.

Plus I can chamfer edges!
25011466_153405505292503_3494823646193516544_n.jpg

The bottom was good out of the box, but I haven't actually taken the time to grind it perfectly down. I did immediately clean up the iron though as it had a pretty rough grind on it to start.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Anyone have a good resource for moldings? Trying to get ideas for the crown, casing, and baseboards, and there aren't great resources that I can find.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have a good resource for moldings? Trying to get ideas for the crown, casing, and baseboards, and there aren't great resources that I can find.

Buying or planning? For buying if you contact a place that makes moldings (IE runs molders) you'll likely get some really sweet stuff and they're usually pretty reasonable.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Buying or planning? For buying if you contact a place that makes moldings (IE runs molders) you'll likely get some really sweet stuff and they're usually pretty reasonable.

I'm just planning at the moment. We need to start deciding because drywall finishing starts tomorrow. Tile install is next week, then we'll be pretty much set for trim.

You've seen our plans, and we've talked, so I really value your opinion, but I'm leaning towards simple moldings and casings - maybe something shaker style or modern.

White-Shaker-Style-Doors-Trim-Work.jpg

I know my wife also likes the plain style moldings, but she'd like a relatively tall baseboard
modern-baseboards-01.jpg

I also like some of the art deco kind of look:

21in1.jpg

Also, what is everyone's thoughts on mismatched doors throughout the house. We have the standard six panel raised doors today. Would it be terrible to do the new space in something a bit different like a craftsman or shaker style panel door?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definetly decide on your doors before you choose moldings. I’d keep the doors the same throughout.

I like the tall base molding but I would size it based on the room. It’s something that may look right with 9’ or 10’ ceilings but for 8’ I would likely stick with 4-5” tall moldings if you’re choosing a plain molding.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
Definetly decide on your doors before you choose moldings. I’d keep the doors the same throughout.

I like the tall bass molding but I would size it based on the room. It’s something that may look right with 9’ or 10’ ceilings but for 8’ I would likely stick with 4-5” tall moldings if you’re choosing a plain molding.

I think you're right about the doors, unfortunately. Each room has one sloped ceiling that slopes from about 5' to about 9'. I'm thinking ~5" baseboard height. I was thinking shorter for the crown - probably about ~4".

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure if 'bass' was autocorrect or tiredness, haha.

I'm not sure I would do crown at all in a room with a sloped ceiling. I tend to avoid crown molding personally, it's easier to work without it in many aesthetics such as shaker, or modern. Shaker's didn't usually build ornate, but they would cut moldings for around doorways, at the baseboard, and typically they would put a functional chair rail (one for hanging up the chairs). Modern sort of follows that aesthetic when it uses wood but they typically put a reveal around doors and windows, when they do use a molding its typically a plain molding or better still it is made to look like the door/window frame and separated from the wall with a reveal (see haus Esters and haus Lange).

So anyways, that's a lot of detailed information but my way of saying that I would pick a door, trim the door and floor and likely skip the crown molding unless you are moving toward a more traditional aesthetic.

If you end up choosing wood for doors, I think it may make the interior a little more interesting to trim out the doors and base molding with the same wood and leave it varnished rather than painted.

You can also make your passageways a bit more interesting if you have varnished base molding and door trim, they can be made with wooden panels and trimmed out on either end. It makes for a more interesting interior without going the typical route of white painted layered moldings.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also picked up one of these folding work tables and it has been super handy.

It is no real workbench, but if I had more space, I would even buy a second one since they can be joined together.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ramada/kitchen almost completed. Plan to spatchcock and smoke a turkey for 10 Xmas Day on my new Kamado Joe "Big Joe." It's friggin' HUGE.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plan to spatchcock
Using a sledge to flatten that sucker?

You've seen our plans, and we've talked, so I really value your opinion, but I'm leaning towards simple moldings and casings - maybe something shaker style or modern.
I like the look in that first picture, except the nickle hardware is annoying me. Personally, I would go with brownish hardware like a bronze to match the darker floors. But that's another discussion. In that pic I like the simple and understated moldings and casings. My current home was built in the early 90's and has trim like that, and it has really held up well to the trends. (but then again, so had the stained moldings and trim in our old 1920's home)

brokencycle

Reaction score
Using a sledge to flatten that sucker?

I like the look in that first picture, except the nickle hardware is annoying me. Personally, I would go with brownish hardware like a bronze to match the darker floors. But that's another discussion. In that pic I like the simple and understated moldings and casings. My current home was built in the early 90's and has trim like that, and it has really held up well to the trends. (but then again, so had the stained moldings and trim in our old 1920's home)

I agree. That's the way I'm leaning, and if I went that route, I'd redo the moldings downstairs over time. We're planning to do some board and batten style wainscoating on the main floor, and that molding would look good with it.

I also agree with Brian. I waffle on the crown upstairs. The angled ceilings will have a whitewashed elm, and the flooring, depending on the room will either be carpet or darker, oil stained white oak.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads